1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Back grounds

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by Leif, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

We are a collmination of all our exepriences, our lives shape us ............ so what is it from your past that makes you "into" shrafting?

Can you even put yor finger on it??

2. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

its in all of us mate..............the skill is in finding it agian!.....................lose the skill to survive and you lose the skill to live!!!!!!!!!

3. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

ye i agree, everyone is born with it. its only society and capitalism that clouds the natural caveman in all of us. but i think it was my dad that bought it out in me

4. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

I started when I was in high school, never did like school much and would bunk off for weeks on end.
    Me and a mate of mine would spend all day in the woods and by the river, we had pocket fishing kits that we would catch trout on and cook them for our dinner over an open fire.
    We had the best underground den/hide out ever that took us ages to build we even had an old cast iron house log burner in there to keep us warm on the colder days.
    We even constructed a jetty on the river once which we used to sit on while we fished for trout.
    We would even go there on weekends.
    We built a big tree house in the end as our underground den got flooded after a few days of heavy rain coming down from the valleys and the river flooded it.
    The times we had trout and blackberrys for dinner is no ones business and we would boil the river water to drink.
    We knew the woods like the back of our hands and had worn tracks the complete length of the woods.
    As it was between a railway and a river no one ever went there it was our woods ...god I miss them days.

A pic of our woods.
    It's known locally as "The Bangers"

The woods are inside the red line
    Blue is the river
    Yellow is the railway tracks

bangers.jpg

5. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

i was very much the same as you gazo ....i to had a mate who i spent most of the summer holidays down the woods with building tree houses and fishing in the river ....
    his father had a few air rifles which we took to the woods and set up a range with old tin cans ....
    thats where i found out roast sqwizzer wasn't up to much:D...

i then left school with 9 cse,s (don't know how that happened couse i was never there)
    i trained as a French polisher for a few years till the factory burnt down...i then moved onto the motor trade and soon became a qualified motor mechaninc....then i trained in commercial tyre fitting (earth mover/truck/agricultural) ....but there was something missing in my life....i saw an advert in my local news paper for the RAF regiment (reserves) ...

so i singed up ...did my basic training and i stayed in for over 6 years.....i just loved being back out in the wilds again and realized i wasn't cut out for a normal 9-5 life....

got back into shooting again and joined a forum where i met a guy a few years back called Paul (fishingwalkies) who re ignited my Passion for the out doors .....

and the rest is history guys ...:)

6. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

history that is well written and a bright future to write about;)

7. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

As a child i had a very troubled life at home not something i would like put upon any one,,me only solatude was the local woodland and as a child it was more a forest of ones dreams, i used to live there as such my only way of getting away from the real word of beatings and not being wanted,, but i herd natures true calling i feel at home when out in the wilds all of lifes hard times and evils just lift away from my shoulders when i step in to any back country or woodland,,i am so glad that my children feel this way to as it's a very special bond to share with your child.. i can remember when i was 9 i ran away from home i lived in the woods for a week and to me it felt like i was a man i lived on the money i pinched from home to buy sweets and bits from the local corner shop+ there was plenty of nuts in the woods, i felt like a real man as i was living free hiding from the world and living by my self,, after a heavy rain down poor i waited till it was dark and ran 5 miles to my nans house and knocked on her door as that was the only person i felt i could turn to,, she opend the door and welcomed me with open arms and sat me down after some proper grub and a hr in the bath she then sat me down and talked etc,, the the police came around told me off ,, i then stayd with her till i was in my 20s and i always had a shack in her garden i made with a kit of everything you would need to live out doors... just a little of my background..

my happy ending was to meet fellow plymouth lads that had the same spark and the love for the great outdoors,, people i can share me passion with once more