1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Been out this morning

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Chat' started by Gazo, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Myself and my son was up at 6am this morning and ready to take a visit to a woodland I used to visit when I was younger.
    This woodland is not used by people very often as you have to cross a river to get to it, It's the only way into this woodland and the river can only be crossed when not in flood.
    The river ebbw is approx 10m wide and upto a few meters deep in some places.
    Anyway we managed to get across without getting too wet (I had a boot full) and had to use the machete to get off the river bank into the main wood.
    Within 10 yards the first thing I came across was a huge patch of wild garlic (hands & breath still smell of it)
    Garlic Bangers 06.04.12.jpg

We found a nice patch in the woods and started gathering some dead wood so I could show my son how to light a fire using a fire steel and a bit of cotton wool.

Bangers 6 april 12.jpg
    We got a nice little fire going to help dry our trousers and boots out abit after the river crossing

We then made a small bushy table and made a well earned cuppa

Bangers 6th April 2012 (1).jpg

We then packed up and carried on fighting our way through the woods where we found patches of the wild garlic everywhere.
    Found a few nice places where we are planning on staying the night and cleared them the best we could.

Bangers4 6th April 2012.jpg Bangers 6th April 2012 (5).jpg Bangers 6th April 2012 (4).jpg Bangers 6th April 2012 (3).jpg Bangers 6th April 2012 (6).jpg

Found many worn tracks and plenty of animal signs, the place is loaded with bunnies and also a few fox dens.

We then decided to head back home so back across the river we went with another boot full of water :)
    But all in all a good morning out bonding with my boy :)

2. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

looking good mate , glad you and the boy getting there and hope to see him out of the chavy bush style soon pmsl,,, tell ant to get on the forum

3. Gazo

Now he is showing interest will get him some kit, soon have him looking like action man lol

4. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

good to get out mate, nice spots. did u take any of the garlic home to eat?

5. Gazo

No never bought any garlic home as don't have a use for it at the moment as it does not keep well.
    But next time I go there I will grab some and do a salad.

But I have since read that it can be dried in a low oven and powered down to make a dry herb so might try that.

6. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

The unopened flower buds of Ramsons ( wild garlic) also go nice in a salad. :) Dont forget to add young beech and hawthorn leaves for a proper spring green salad ;)

7. Gazo

Plan on collecting some on my next visit, the white flowers are still closed so still at there best.
    beech and hawthorn leaves are new ones on me, but guessing only the new fresh leaves you get this time of the year are the best.
    Something I would like to look into abit more is edible wild foods.

8. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

I used to do quite a bit of cooking with wild garlic from the garden, very nice just used as normal garlic and I was doing my landlord a favour as it was taking over:eek:, that stuff is very invasive in a garden!

9. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

and in the toilet after consumption:eek::p:D

10. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

Must admit, I never got any ill effects like that from it:confused:

11. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

i love roasting garlic and eating it on its own ,, wild garlic i must say is lush but elephant foot garlic is what i love to eat , be it raw roasted or put in with salads or hot meals