1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Brand Names

Discussion in 'Kit Chat' started by Rob, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

Does a piece of kit have to carry a Brand Name to make it good, Personally I think not, im not going to slag of any brand names for obvious reasons. Take the MOD issue Boot gortex lined pick them up for about £65.00 new, stick a little label on the side with a name on, all of a sudden £165.00. MOD issue sleeping bag same there. MOD issue bergan the same.the list is endless.

By Trade im a swiss trained watch and clock maker, Watches there are some top named brands out there that people pay strong money for the name, probably what they dont realize is that the movement in side is all made by the one company, then the movement is reserved solely for that top brand company

I feel that this is the probably the case in most of the brand name kit that we use in the buscraft scene. If its cheap and does what it says on the tin who gives a dam if it doesnt have a name or label stuck to it, they only fall of anyway.

2. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

I do like quality goods, I would rather pay a few quid more knowing it's going to last longer but the name does not bother me.
    When buying something I tend to go on recommendations and any reviews I can find on line, A few people saying how good or bad it is means more to me than a brand name for sure.
    I got lots of adidas tracksuit bottoms that I have had for years and are still in great condition I buy them because they last well wash well and fit well not because of the name. But I do look for the name now as I know it's quality stuff.

3. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

Within the realms of bushcraft I find that brand name kit isnt really the best - or at least it isnt necessarily to my liking. Not being "funny" but most buscraft gear recommendations and reviews are done by people who never really use the stuff to its max anyway - its easy to say x is a good axe or b is a good knive when your sat around a campfire in a expedition style camp. Even those who copy the gear used and worn by tv folk are only saying its good cos their heroe wears it - they will never really need to use it in extremes ............ years ago I stopped wearing a sheath knife for most things as I found I didnt need it, unless I was carving something I found a pocket knife did 99% of all my jobs ...........I know I know I am a blasphemer and all those with 300 pound knives will burn me at the stake ....... but thats the truth. Also brand names are often made by the same manufacturer who makes cheaper brands or own brand items too - so you can pay £60 for a north face fleece or £6 for a Regatta and in essence your just paying for the label!! (I dont know if those fleeces or made by the same people its just and example)

Anyway I dont "worry" about brand names and theres very few people I will listen to if the recommend something - I usually look at what folk are using and decide for myself having watched them. Gone are the days when kit made a reputation for itself by being the prefered item of the true outdoorsman ............

4. Kernowek Scouser

Kernowek Scouser Quite Addicted Site Donor

It might be an interesting exercise for experienced bushcrafters like yourself (and helpful to newbs to bushcraft like me) if you did a 'what I take with me for an overnighter' type list, to see if there is a brand or brands that people do go for, even when there is a cheaper option available.

One example that pops to mind is knives, It seems if people aren't gushing about their mora, they are extolling to wonders of their opinel. Home/custom made knives aside, I am beginning to wonder, if turn up to a meet without one of these knives, will I be made to sit under the naughty shelter until I promise to go out and buy one?

Seriously though, as I'm as tight as a duck's derrière, any low cost kit tips are always helpful :)

5. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

Bring the Knife that suits you, providing its sharp and does the job happy days, me i carry a multi tool and my knife is a MOD jungle survival knife nothing special works for me.

6. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

Kernowek wasnt that on the thread about rucksack contents??

7. Kernowek Scouser

Kernowek Scouser Quite Addicted Site Donor

I think there are a couple of 'kit list' threads knocking about.

What I was trying to discover was, are there any particular pieces of 'standard' bushcraft kit that enjoy strong brand loyalty, even when there are cheaper versions available, that are of equal quality?