1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

bushcraft buddies

Discussion in 'Meets & Events' started by Leif, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

Ages ago I remember reading in TGO magazine a column set up to allow walkers to find fellow hikers in their area to link up with for walks ........... so why dont we have a similar thing on here??

Bushcrafters are often solitary creatures and it amazes me how many people have a interest in the subject and yet due to lack of access, confidence or simply companions never seem to get a chance to fully explore their interest.

As such I think it would be great to meet up with others in essex who are interested in sharing skills and the odd beer ...........;)

2. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

good idea! anyone in the surrey area for me

3. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

As membership expands this might pick up ............

4. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Looking for somewhere in my area where I can invite all the lads for a bushy meet as they do in Plymouth.
    Think it's a good idea I will look into getting a section added for this reason where we can list all the parts of the UK so members can post in the sections they are willing to visit.

5. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Could be something like this (alot more thought would need to go into it if it can be done)
    Just a rough idea

Bushcraft buddies (Section heading)

This section is for members who wish to share their time out walking and bushcrafting with fellow members who live close by or who are willing to travel to different parts of the UK
    If you have a place you visit and would like to share it with members then please post in the areas you use or are willing to travel to.

Sub Sections within the main section (you would post in the sections that interest you)

South Cornwall
    North Cornwall
    Devon
    Dorset
    Somerset
    South Wales
    Mid Wales
    North Wales
    Worcester & Gloucester
    Essex
    Midlands
    And so on covering all the UK

So you could put offer or wanted posts up i.e
    Post in essex offering members to join you on ?????? dates
    or Post in cornwall section asking if anyone in that area that you could join

6. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

i like it, although there could be a lot of sub categories. i definitely think a bushcraft buddies section is good though

7. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

yep sounds good, as the site grows it will be popular I think!! - also in south wales why not try Merthyr Mawr they allow meets on site - I briefly used to use the place for courses too

8. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

Essex and Surrey are pretty close to me. Too far for a day but I would be willing to travel for a couple of days if I could get the time off. Permission to bring a rifle would be a bonus but not essential.
    I'll be honest, I could do with learning a bit, I haven't practised any of this sort of thing since I was a teenager.

At this moment I don't have the land available to accommodate any visitors, or even myself for that matter, but I am working on it.

9. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

Ian I run courses for Cadets in east sussex - Ashdown forest - so as you say weekenders down there are good for me, obviously I'm in Essex at the moment though.

Do you have a permissive in your area?

10. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

got permission to camp and shoot, but it depends weather the horses are in the fields at the time (which they usually aren't). let me know if you ever fancy a few nights down here

11. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

Ok me and matt have just had a chat we will be up friday for the weekend send us you postcode, kit all sorted and babby sitters sorted to

12. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

Maybe we should arrange something - how many of us are based over in the south eastern counties??

13. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

just pm'd you mate

14. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

good idea! as i just said to stephen, i cant do this weekend. but can normally do most weekends at the moment. and with a bit of notice to the land owner, my uncle (conveniently), im sure he wouldnt mind a few of us on his patch. or we could come up to your way leif? how many would be interested?

15. Ian

I'd be interested but quite a few of my weekends are booked up this year already. If it fell on the right date and I could get permission from the boss I would be up for it, I would need a bit of notice though.

Unfortunately I don't have any land with permission to camp on. I am edging towards asking one of my customers where I have shooting permission but it isn't a lot of land and probably would be quite challenging terrain.

I know the ashdown forest Leif, one of my customers is based near Forest Row and my sister lives round there as well, its about half an hours drive from me.

16. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

this thread could be very good if people push and get places sorted out ,,, in the next couple of weeks or months i plan on homeing in on my kit for a friday to sunday trip so that's 10 days not 3 , im looking at doing 100miles in this time so will be looking at wheres best to hike to and then home , this will give me time to look around and do things as well ...i think this would be a very good learning curve for me and a bigger understanding to life , i plan on doing this in the next school holidays so i know my kids will be cool with family members ... im going to start a search to see where will be best moorland , coastal or a bit of both ... if there is any one that would be up for this just let me no but im happy to go alone and get to no the real me, i have come to a cross road in life and not shore which way to go some people may have a bitch or moan about it but every man must make a choice to wear his path leads in life ,, i think my self buchcraft/camping/glamping or what ever you want to call it can do this and help you make choices and good choices in your life ...

17. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

Not sure I can get free in a couple of weeks but would defo try if I had dates to work on -

18. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

Good idea this mate, I cant commit to going along also, but hope to do a similar thing in my life..............but I do wish you the very best of luck and an enjoyable journey!

I have often thought about hitching a lift, by contacting a haulage company and seeing if I can tag along with them and do short hikes in between, and basically seeing how far I get!.........with you being down that neck of the woods, why not research where the "Three hungry Boys" travelled from and to, and copy a similar route,,,,,,,think it was exeter to land end I think!

19. Ian

I'll get some dates sorted soon for when I can make a nearby meet. I need to get the Dorset shooting trip out of the way first though, that's at the end of the month.

It would be nice to meet a few forum members.