1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

bushy books /mags

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Chat' started by Matt, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

ok guys was just wondering what do you class as your best bushy read???

my fav book is BUSHCRAFT OUTDOOR SKILLS AND WILDERNESS SURVIVAL by Mors Kochanski

i also subscribe to bushcraft & survival skills mag ....

2. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Picked one up in WH Smiths the other day but put it back when I see it was £4.95 :) not sure which one it was but I should get a few as need to learn as much as I can.

3. Matt

i would recomend the Mors Kochanski book mate its the only one you would need to buy except the wild foods book by ray mears..
    i got all mine from amazon....http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushcraft-Outdoor-Skills-Wilderness-Survival/dp/1551051222

there not cheap but it will be the only one,s you will need mate

4. Matt

5. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Nice one Matt have to have to look into getting them one day but they will have to wait as I have too much kit I need first.

6. bigzitt

bigzitt Slightly Addicted

bought this months (jan/feb) bushcraft mag and have to say i was a bit dissapointed, seemed just a typical type, same as country walking or trail, too much sales ads and stuff for the more well off, will have a look at the next one just to see if it was just a crap issue.
    speaking of "for the more well off" have you seen the prices of the courses on ray mears' site:eek:

250 notes for a 6 hour walk in woods with ray, 650 big ones for a few days with some other dude.

for that money it wouldn't be mears i'd be taking in the woods;)

7. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

I still think the bible of all things survival and bushcraft has to be the "SAS survival handbook" by John Wiseman. He has to be the grand daddy of them all:D

I've had about 3 or 4 copies of this book over the years.

8. BC Woodsmen

BC Woodsmen Slightly Talkative

My #1 " Bushy Book " is " Mors Kochanski - Outdoor Skills & Wilderness Survival " 2nd - Ray Mears " Outdoor Survial Handbook.
    Also one that is really good & i would recommend getting it is: John & Geri McPherson " Ultimate guide to Wilerness Living "
    based on Surviving with nothing but your bare hands & what you find in the woods.

9. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

Books I'd recommend -

1. Mors Kochanski, Bushcraft
    2. Ray Mears, The survival handbook (green one)
    3. Andrew Lane, Survival Advantage
    4. G Conover, Snowwalkers companion.

Alot of people will also find Richard Graves, Kephart and maybe Nessmuk interesting too.

Anything thing I like is reading accounts of lives lived in say the arctic or the fur trade, you can often pick up interesting information there which requires you to get out in the woods and try them out to see if they work or how they work!

10. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

The bear grylls book is also very good and has sections in that the others dont, stuff like a woods workout to keep in shape and things like that. I didn't expect much when i picked it up but i was pleasantly surprised with the content.

I've got a couple of Rays books and theyre ok, never read any others though. May have to pick up a copy of Mors's book. :)

11. bigstancwsw

bigstancwsw Snare & Trap expert

All the aformentioned books are good but for an essential book to take with you its got to be a Gideons Bible. The paper is less scratchy than most books and makes good tinder.