1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Canoeing, anybody in to it???????

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by Cavatina, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Cavatina

Cavatina Extremely Talkative

I'm thinking of buying myself a canoe, but not sure which one to go for. I live not far from the River Wye which has about 100 miles of the best canoeing water in the UK, so I'm informed. I've looked at inflatables but they look a bit flimsy, I've looked a Kayaks, but they seem a bit unstable for getting in and out of, so finally, I've been looking at the Canadian Canoe. Plenty of room for my camping gear, looks stable, and looks easy to handle. Any advise out there would be most welcome. By the way, I'm told that carrying an air rifle is a no no, as you could be done for armed trespass, again,does anybody know if this is true. cheers, Geoff

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Yes it's true on the air rifle mate best leave it home if you plan on a canoeing trip.

3. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

the problem with canoeing.... downstream nice and easy (if you have the basic skiils) upstream you may as well walk

4. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

Geoff there is a really good canoing forum called "song of the paddle" they have some really good reviews & helpful hints/tips maybe worth a looksie bud.

5. Cavatina

Cheers for that, I'll take a look. Although I'm not into Forums!!!!!!!! MUCH!!!!!!!. Geoff:hp-beer:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  6. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

I really enjoy my canadian canoe, it's an "Old Town Charles river" a really good work horse, it's a bit of a pain portaging sometimes if your loaded down with kit, but there's nothing else that beats it for emptying your mind,

put the doubts out your mind bud & get one you won't regret it ;)

7. Fenland Hunter

Fenland Hunter Slightly Talkative

I can echo that thought I wouldn't be without mine a Mad river intrigue it is an excellent craft but still heavy on the portage front, It is defiantly worth spending the extra on a rigid canoe as the inflatable whilst it is light to portage you expend 3 times the energy whilst moving.

So throw the doubt's away get a good canoe and it will give many years of enjoyment and there really is no better way to explore.

8. Cavatina

Thanks for that guys, yes my appetite is really getting wetted. Geoff

9. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

I would love one nothing better in the summer but my problems would be cost, transporting it and storing it

10. Cavatina

I'll just make sure the one I get is a two manner, no excuses then mate. Pontypool yacht basin could be a good launching point. Geoff:hp-beer:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

what you need to get Geoff is a viking long boat then we can all go mate;):D

12. Cavatina

Yes, and not bother coming back!!!!!!!!The missus has just had a go at me, Geoff. :hp-beer:

13. Bucephalas

Bucephalas Very Talkative

Hi again.
    Although I'm a newcomer to canoing too, i can offer some advice. Some is a result of research and some from friends who work/run canoeing centres on the Wye.

I've bought an entry level Sevylor Amazon KEC79, mostly for solo use and some wild camping along the Wye.
    It's inflatable because I can so a two day canoe/camp on the river and when I'm done I simply deflate and jump in a taxi and go back to the car. With something like an Old Town Canadian then you need another car with roof rack.

If my solo trips go well, I will get a ZPro Tango TA300. It can fit two adults and a child with some luggage or two adults and more luggage or one adult and loads of luggage. They are very strong (don't think beach inflatable here) and user freindly.

Otherwise, if weight is no issue, take a look at the Pelican Explorer which you can pick up from Costco in the spring for a good price!

14. Cavatina

Yes I looked at those inflatables, quite impressive. Can you recommend any canoe shops on the Wye, bearing in mind I'm in Aberbargoed. I suppose Ross on Wye is the closest point to me. Geoff

15. Bucephalas

Bucephalas Very Talkative

16. Don

Don Slightly Talkative

Ok Geoff my advice is go hire and try out a few assorted one's be fore you buy,I have bought a new kayak the end of last year

When I think about what i want to do this year,camp/fish/ect,Its not all what i want from it,so spend a bit time.

Cheers Don.

17. Cavatina

18. Cavatina

Thanks Don, yes, I've already looked at some various types a while back, and came to the conclusion I needed to carry a fair bit of gear so I think the Canadian Canoe is the right choice for me, around 16'. I'd like to be able to manage it myself but also be able to take mates along for a bit of overnight camping. Cheers, Geoff

19. megga

megga Extremely Talkative

I used to be into it many moons ago, canadian is by far the best way forward if transporting and storage is not an isue. Last year i decided to take the lad and with no equipment (apart from my old bouyancy aids) and very little money, i brought a 2 man inflatable from ebay. (no storage and no transportation for a solid one) It cost me £75 so i was not expecting anything any good, but i am very suprised, its sturdy and doesn't flex and still no punctures.

20. Cavatina

Yes, I think a Canadian Open Canoe is the way forward, something like this one I'm hoping to bid on :-

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

What do you guys think?????

Geoff