1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Catapult

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Tools' started by Gazo, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Anyone use them ??

Always used to make them as a kid but not used one for years.
    Been doing a bit of reading up on them and one guy states

"Despite their short range a good catapult with the correct ammunition packs a lot of punch, and in terms of energy delivered to the target this can be several times more power than the legal 12Ft Lbs legal limit for Air Rifles in the UK. This devastating power makes a Catapult a humane weapon for small game."

And he uses .38 Calibre steel ball bearings in his.

Think I will get myself another one and start practising. :)

2. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

i've tried them out. and they do pack a fat punch, but personally i've never been accurate enough to feel comfortable trying them on live game

3. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

From what I've heard they do take a lot of practice.

I struggle enough with the air rifles I've got so I think I'll give this one a miss mate:D

4. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

i make them occaisionally, only hunting catty's though.. They take rabbits down well enough upto 30 yards away. I chrono'd mine and it was doing just under 19ft lbs with .44 cal lead balls, just over 300fps ;)

Heres the last one i made using yew for the frame and theraband gold for the bands.

cat1.jpg cat2.jpg cat3.jpg

5. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Nice Mark I like that.

6. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

I only rate 3 slingshots/cattys for hunting that is:Barnett cobra Barnett pro diablo and the pro mg-al this is not aloud to be used in the uk with the arrow fittings tho......if you want one just for fun get the trusty black w

7. HillBill

I wouldn't use a barnet for hunting. Too big and bulky to carry/conceal and they tend to have round bands which are pretty poor compared to flat bands. No one makes a suitable hunting catty in the UK other than a few individual makers. :)

8. Cavey

Cavey Very Talkative

We used to make them out of high tensile fence wire and never bothered with the silly wee pouch affair.

Deadly accurate up to 20 yards, but lethal over a 100.

But that was back in the days when you could buy a shotgun from a clothing catalogue!

What a crap country we now live in eh?

9. ReubenBushcraft

ReubenBushcraft Quite Addicted

I use a Barnett Diablo... With 6mm steel steel balls... I'm pretty accurate, I can hit a 15cm ruler from 15-20 meters

10. wildwoodsman

wildwoodsman Slightly Addicted

I make catapults similar to the gamekeeper ones getting late now so will post pics tomoz but catapults are the best and only unregulated hunting weapons about I make my own ammo 15mm round by 15mm long lead cylinders, you should see what the do to a sheep at 50 yds (must state sheep was already dead......Honest)

11. gangstasdad

gangstasdad Extremely Talkative

i use to have the black widow some piece of kit in right hands i,ve took out rabbits and crows and i,ve got to say had a couple of black thumb nails due to not paying attention lol

12. maffman

maffman Slightly Talkative

I still have a black widow it must be about 28 years old now needless to say it needs a new elastic but with good ammo and a lot of practice I could smash a window from far enough away not to get caught...:p

13. woodstock

woodstock Quite Addicted

I use one of jono's with very good results, its basic no frills hunting rig fit for purpose nice bit of kit for not a lot of money,

14. HillBill

I remember when i shot myself with yours lol. The laws of Physics were on holiday that day :)