1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

compass for swaps or sale

Discussion in 'Swaps & Freebies Archive' started by kwakamonkey, Jan 20, 2012.

1. kwakamonkey

kwakamonkey Quite Talkative

hi there . i have this compass . its a silva eclipse pro 99 . specs as follows
    The Flagship among the ECLIPSE compasses. A one-handed operation mirror-sighting compass. Has built-in clinometer for measurement of vertical angles/slopes. Base plate with magnifier and a set of InfoCards with Survival info, Instructions for use, map measuring scales, conversion tables etc are included in the rubber "shoe". This is not just a compass - it is a complete navigation system!
    * New Circle Orienting system - simply, outline the circled red "N" and read bearing to 1/2°.

* Adjustable magnetic declination.

* One hand use. Prismatic mirror sighting system (laser cut mirror) for accurate bearings.

* Dial Hinge Operation - Sight Cover opens to three predetermined positions -45°, 90° & 120°.

* Sight Cover opens independent of cover. Cover opens 120° for hinge inclination measurement.

* Baseplate with a magnifying lens and provided with the following scales: mm, 1:25.000 and 1:50.000.

* Ergonomic rubber shoe cover holding different information cards.

* Size: 105 x 65 mm.

* Weight: 104 g.

it has a few scrapes and marks but has never been used out side , i think i have the box for it too . im sure i saw the box when packing when moving house lol

i worked at silva uk so its from the factory and its brand new although as above its got marks and scrapes but nothing serious .

i would be willing to swap it for a rifle scope for a .22lr rifle or sell for £30 inc postage . i think they are discontinued now. here is a place that sells them
    Silva Eclipse Compass : Breaking Free, The outdoor shop, eagle creek, petzl £75 new so less than half price

will post pics once up loaded
    paul

hi just found out that a bubble does not affect the compass and its accuracy as stated here by silva
    My Silva compass has a bubble in the fluid. What should I do?

We intend that our compasses are free of bubbles; however, if a small bubble forms in the liquid-filled capsule, it has no influence on the accuracy of the compass. Its appearance and disappearance are due to changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure. If a bubble larger than 1/4" in diameter appears, it is probably the result of a leaking capsule, usually caused by some form of shock damage, and the capsule will have to be replaced. In that case, just call our customer satisfaction department for a return authorization number and shipping address

2. kwakamonkey

pics of the above

pic 1.jpg pic 2.jpg pic 3.jpg

shows the slight scrape

pic 4.jpg shows the compass base plate. there is a bubble .not sure if its due to the cold in my loft though . im sure i was told by the service guy at silva( guy who would repair or replace faulty goods) said a bubble was not in any way a problem .but i will check
    pic 1.jpg the cards that show you how to use the compass and built in inclinometer

paul

3. kwakamonkey

just found out this compass is faulty . the disc magnet pro and pro eclipse compasses had faults i.e bubbles and silva has discontinued the making of them . i am in the process of trying to get it exchanged for a newer one

thanks for looking guys