1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Drinking Water

Discussion in 'Bush Tucker' started by Gazo, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

How much water do you carry with you if your out for the weekend.
    Or do you find a stream or natural water source in which case do you carry water purifying tablets. or would you just boil it.

2. bigzitt

bigzitt Slightly Addicted

last farm we was on.. only small though, had two natural springs. we boiled some for tea and coffee,which was nice. but me and the bro-i-law had a drink fresh and are still ok....didnt let the boy have any as e's not grown up swimming in the crappy canals and rivers of leicester, or playing in the dirt, or going through skips looking for magazines or crawling through sewers that we called "witches tunnel" or sleeping in old train cars etc. but sorry to ramble on i think if your high up its purer than low down. as if you drink from the top and "beginning "of a river/stream its better than drinking out of the taff in cardif
    if in doubt knock the farmers door and ask for a drimnk

excuse my spelling and typing..im going to bed now.....good night all

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
  3. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

Depending on situation/hiking etc, water is a very important part of whatever "excursion" you are undertaking, obviously you dont wanna be carrying a jerry can full of water if you are going to be walking any sort of distance. For drinking only!!!! I would suggest a 2ltr bottle for 2 nights camp at the minimum, again this is dependant on what sort of excersize you are undertaking, any more than that which you need you will have to "exctract", dont forget for washing etc stream water is fine, and anti bac wet wipes are good for knife cleaning, carry what you can water wise but dont go daft!!!!! CARRY WATER TO DRINK AND TRY AND EXTRACT WATER FOR HYGIENE PURPOSES!!!! (Extract being solar still/tree and bag method/rain water/stream/river)

4. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

there is a fresh water spring close to the town where i grew up... i used to get on my bike and take some water bottles in a back-pack. I was situated at the southern base of the pennines, the spring runs from the higher moorland down into the town (well on the outskirts)... the beauty of the spring is that the rock sediments filter the water as it passes through, and is a very welcome and refreshing taste... even in the summer it never seemed to stop flowing!! My suggestion is look around for any hills in the area after heavy rainfall, then walk around the base whilst listening carefully for a "trickling" sound, then follow the sound until you come across the spring itself... will be well worth it (pardon the pun)

5. kwakamonkey

kwakamonkey Quite Talkative

i bouhgt one of them pwp water filters that fitted onto a 58pattern water bottle . still got it used it twice too much faffing about if in a hurry to get clean water Model PWP