1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

ex army..........

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Matt, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

would you use ex army dpms in the bush??? or would you go for the olive version .....(reasons for and against )

2. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

I always went for the realtree stuff mainly so I did not come across as some nut wearing army DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material) with a gun. But on the other side DPM is ready available and alot cheaper than the other patterns like real tree, mossy oak etc.

3. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

i wear realtree but find i sweat like mad in it when on proper trecks so i will be baging up on dpm ,as it's lighter and lets your body breathe lot better..

4. Matt

the only problem with dpm stuff is when it gets wet it takes an age to dry ..................if I'm out for any length of time i pack a set of tracky bottoms to wear around the camp whilst i got my dpms drying next to the fire....

5. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

i use real-tree if im hunting as i think thats the best to break up your silhouette, but i wear d.p.m for fishing as its cheaper (dont mind if its gets fishy) but still helps break up your silhouette. but if im out on more of a camping or trekking trip i'll wear 5.11 and things like that because i think they're the most breathable and better for drying out etc

6. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

i will use both DPM and realtree... the DPM is ideal for messing around in around camp and for general nature spotting, where realtree should break up my silhouette better for when i need it most

7. Vault

Vault Very Talkative

I mostly wear olive with a camo hat that has camo netting covering my face. I will invest in DPM when I've got a few spare coins, British DPM is cheap and regularly available here in NZ at our ex army surplus stores, they have everything from pants to gortex jackets and army boots, some items are new, some used but in good condition and all of it is cheaper than Realtree, for the price of a good Realtree jacket I could kit myself from boots to boonie in ex army gear.I tnink DPM is just as effective as Realtree in the bush, it comes down to covering your hands and face, and picking your path wisely and quietly if you dont want to be seen.If it's warm and weather resistant enough for soldiers with the variety of terrain and weather conditions they may face then it's certainly good enough for me to go hunting or camping in.Here in NZ it's not uncommon in the wilderness, forest parks, native bush to find hunters and campers fully camo'd up with or without firearms so no one is likely yo be alarmed passing you on a track in some remote area as long as you smile and are practising safe firearm handling.Probably the only people I've ever encountered in the bush on their way to DOC ( Dept of Conservation) huts dressed in bright colours with stripey woolen hats sporting pompoms are tourists dressed in Kathmandu.Olive thermals have their place in the wilderness but they're not fire resistant at all, get wet easily and certainly come second to woolen and cotton when it comes to warmth and durability.I dont know if you've ever seen or heard of a famous Kiwi bush garment called the Swandri but its basically a large woollen jacket often with a hood, some have a zip up the front others are pulled on over the top of your other gear like a giant sweater, due to being made of premium NZ wool they're extremely warm, you can even just pull the hood over your head and go to sleep in the bush right there and then but when they get wet from heavy rain they become amazingly heavy as they're a large garment often coming down to around mid thigh - knee hight but on the plus side even though they maybe soaking wet they will still retain a great deal of warmth due being made of wool.I've been thinking lately I need to replenish my stock of outdoor clothing not just for myself but my whole family of 3 the missus, my 5yr old son and myself need kitting from head to toe, I've pretty much got my son sorted in good quality outdoor brands, even bought him Timberland boots from the US but I'm guessing it'll be near $1000 to kit my missus and myself out sufficiently to survive a month or so in the bush. DPM being the cheapest option will be my first choice, it's warm, functional and camo'd for when we want to blend in but still for around campyou cant beat the light and farm olive thermals, just dont get to close to the fire.

8. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

I avoid DPM where possible as I see to many WANNA BE's dressed up in it and looking like idiots - and being a ex I dont wanna be mistaken for one!

I wear flacktarn goretex for shooting or rabbitng - the flecktarn shirts I own I dyed black.

I also have a woodland camo M65 which is my summer bushy jacket (minus liner) but I wear a olive one with liner in winter.

The rest of my gear is either muted colours like greens and browns - or civi like red check - and if Im running WEISS training then its Rescue Orange ..............

9. sapper

sapper Quite Talkative

I generally wear solid muted colours like black,brown and green.I don't feel the need to wear DPM as I'm not really hiding.Often I'm out in the woods wearing shorts ,sandals and T shirt,I like to be comfortable:) rather than conformist.

10. rick812

rick812 Extremely Talkative

I go Both DPM and the New MTP both in CS95 style so it drys quick and is light weight, I think DPM is a good all round camoflage as it works well in fields when stalking close to the edge and when in woods it helps with shadows, Now with MTP i have yet to use proberly but will using it alot in the summer as it is for that type of scenery i have yet to try real tree(cost) doesnt appeal to me.

11. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

The new multicam looks good, blends in well for the hunter.
    Check this youtube video

12. Kernowek Scouser

Kernowek Scouser Quite Addicted Site Donor

I favour muted, solid colours.

I've never been in the army, so if I were to hike about in DPM gear I'd feel like a fake and probably look like a try hard.

I do have a fair bit of surplus army gear, but it is more kit than clothing and the motivating factor for buying it was practicality of use, rather than whether I'd look like a numpty or not using it. The army clothing I do have is foreign military, two field jackets, one khaki (Italian) one brown (Dutch). They don't look ex army (at least I don't think so) have multiple pockets, which is handy for carrying stuff and is the main reason I bought them, they are essentially heavy shirts, good for wearing over a t-shirt when it gets a bit nippy and cost me peanuts (which was the other reason I bought them).

I'm almost 99% decided that I'm going to get a DPM basha, but the main reason is it will only cost me just over a tenner as opposed to £30-£40 for a DD or similar tarp.

I don't know, what do you ex Army fellas think when you see someone who hasn't served, decked out like they've just completed a tour in Helmand Province? For me, they make me chuckle, but I would imagine, if you have been there and done that, you might have a strong opinion on who gets to wear the T-shirt?

13. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

DPM basha for a £10 bargain, as to clothes, as geroge michael sang its not the clothes that makes the man, turn up in what ya want and feel comfortable in barby pink if it suits you sir:)

14. Matt

it doesn't bother me mate as there are so many surplus shops around these day you can get dpm kit anywhere....the reason i wear it is i do like my hunting as well ..and don't want to take 2 sets of kit with me when I'm out for the weekend....and if it works for the forces its good enough for me (i don't care if i look like a dick whilst i got the dpms on i know theres 40,000 other guys looking the same pmsl)

15. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

Ill be one of those dicks as well along with the otherr 39,998:)

16. rick812

rick812 Extremely Talkative

maybe multi cam will come out this weekend,lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
  17. woodstock

woodstock Quite Addicted

the first one is German army DPM:confused:

And the second one is American army DPM So you will only look like a wanabe in these two countries

18. Xylaria

Xylaria Slightly Addicted

I have a two pairs of OGs, i have no idea how a bloke is supposed to fit them without talking like joe pisquale, but hey they fit me. They are very dirt repellant. I dont really give a fig what I or anyone else looks like, but it was well funny going through that posh town center with a bunch of us dressed in surplas.

The not looking a walty nurde is generally achieved by not waring full matching ironed kit with correct boots while marching around tescos, and not standing about with real vets dressed the same on armathist sunday. Wandering about in muddy mismatched kit just makes anyone look like a outdoor type on a budget.

19. ReubenBushcraft

ReubenBushcraft Quite Addicted

DPM is really cheap compared to multi-cal which is what I like! :)

20. samuraiwarrior66

samuraiwarrior66 Very Talkative

Hi Matt, I suspect I may be teaching you to suck eggs here perhaps and may be I'm going to repeat something already said? I tend to have a mixture of clothing. During the day I tend to use and wear reverseable wear that I have produced myself. This allows me to adopt the protocol of moving 'in and out of role'[surveillance technique]... one side is 'Jungle DPM' and the other is a plain pertex light green. It's less imposing that way should I meet somebody or another legitimate user of the Forest unexpected... During daylight hours I wear a form of commercial camo trousers which, where I live, is very acceptable dress in the rurals and wilds and technically they also do a fantastic job. I carry a lightweight MESH top to complement the trousers. At night, we have adopted MTP... we find that extremely good and following tests and evaluation we found it particularly good against Night Vision equipment. In winter I wear a snow suit or mixture of, perhaps snow trousers and some form of camo top...

Trust this helps

SW

PS Invest in a good pair of MTP leather gloves!