1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Fire lighting?

Discussion in 'Survival Skills' started by Cavey, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Cavey

Cavey Very Talkative

I don't know if this is the right section,

A fairly strong spectacle lens (a bit of thick glass would do) has got me out of trouble before when desperate for a fag and a heat.

Being a roll-up smoker I crunched up some very fine fag papers as tinder and then gathered up some other heavier material to build a decent fire. I then lit the lot with a spectacle lens by magnifying the suns rays into the tinder base.

Of course, this does need a decent sunny day with some heat in old Sol - but don't forget folks have starved or even frozen to death in very hot countries without the means to light a fire at night or cook their food.

A fairly useless bit of information I know unless you're a roll-up smoker trapped in the desert I guess. :p

2. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

I've had a go with a discarded Coke can last summer got tinder to light

3. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

I used to burn ants and bugs with a magnifying glass when I was a kid :) if you get it right on a hot summers day it don't take long to get a fire going.

4. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

you can polish the bottom of a coke can with some chocolate and then use the concave part of the can to direct the sunlight onto some tinder and start a fire:)

5. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

you can use ICE!!!! I'm sure i posted this somewhere before but in case you lot don't believe me

6. m00thman

m00thman Extremely Talkative

You can use the sun in many ways when you want to make a fire. The best results you get when you're using char-cloth. I had started a fire using a magnifying lens; glasses (not sun glasses) and even a plastic transparent watter bottle. It works very fast - all you have to do is to concentrate the sun rays on your tinder (I as said, char-cloth works best). It works even in the winter time - all you need is a sunny day.

221666806_DSC03304_122_201lo.jpg

7. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

Moothman, what cloth do you use for char cloth? a section of old denim jeans is good for me, baked in a sealed syrup tin with a pin hole in!

what method do you use to make your char cloth?

8. m00thman

Well, I'm using the same method. I always make char-cloth from old jeans that I don't wear anymore. And i'm using a small tin box with a small hole on the top. It usually takes me about 10-15 mins, depending on how hot the coals are.

Clar-cloth.jpg

9. fishingwalkies

This is a very useful post for members, making char cloth!

as long as char cloth is "KEPT" in its very dry state it will take even the smallest spark, even a single spark from a stone against stone will light char cloth!

10. m00thman

From what I know, it catches the spark only if one of the stones has something called pyrite on it (a yellowish powder, or something like that). But yes, dosen't need hot sparks to catch on fire. It works very well with an empty lighter (those with magnesium), flint & steel (carbon steel knives, iron files, chisels). Actually, it works even without flint. You can use alomost every piece of rock that is hard enough and that creates sharp edges when it breaks. See the picture (I tried all of these).

for creating sparks.jpg

11. fishingwalkies

Excellent mate, good first posts!!!!

12. m00thman

Thank you! I try to do my best! :)

13. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

nice one mate. havent made char cloth yet. got something to do on sunday now lol

14. m00thman

I see no reason not give it a try. It's so easy to made and so fun to play with. I'll see! :)

15. woodstock

woodstock Quite Addicted

potassium permanganate and some glycerine makes a really hot flame that will burn almost any damp tinder

16. m00thman

From what I know, potassium permanganate is a prohibited chemical substance. You can't buy it from a pharmacy, or something like that. But yes, I heard it's good for starting a fire, and even more than that. From Wikipedia: "Potassium permanganate is typically included in survival kits: as a fire starter, water sterilizer and for creating distress signals on snow", but I guess you have to really know what you're doing.

17. woodstock

woodstock Quite Addicted

available on ebay, its used to clear fish ponds, 1 Tea spoon to a few drops of gycerine and you have fire that will ignite most things.

18. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

Ya thats what i carry as a last resort, as you said will ignite most things