1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

How many Scouts/Scout leaders on here ?

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by Steelyglint, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Steelyglint

Steelyglint Quite Talkative

Evening all,

The site being a bushcraft site I just wondered how many others are involved in Scouting?

I'm a Cub Scout and Scout section leader (Shere Khan to my Cubs) I've just come back from Cubs having spent the evening working on matchbox survival kits, the idea being to kit out a survival kit in and ordinary size match box, teaching them how to waterproof matches & traditional tracking signs.

I love passing this stuff on to these kids Cubs are 8 - 10 years old, I'm off to the lakes next weekend with the Scouts (10- 14) hiking backwoods cooking playing up in the snow line, it's great fun if you're not involved and a "Bushy" try it !

2. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

i think we have a few scout leaders on this site mate.....we have one on Active shooter ...his sign in name is scout

3. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

Not a scout or scout leader,,,,,,,but I wish when I was a kid I would have had a bash at it,

4. Steelyglint

Never too old, sign up as a leader, you'll have plenty of knowledge to pass on and plenty of excuses to " play out "! There's currently a waiting list of over 60,000 youngsters who can't get a place for lack of adult leaders anyone who's into bushcraft will love it I promise !

People back off because they think it's a massive commitment but the fact is you can do as little or as much as you want, why not volunteer your services to the district as a bushcraft instructor ? You never know maybe Scouts could teach you some new tricks ? :D

5. fishingwalkies

they probably could mate!, I know quite a bit, but im never too old to learn summat new!!!!!!! and Im sure some of these younger scouts could teach me a bit about some aspects of their experiences, thats the way we should all learn, by listening to other peoples experiences!!!!!!

Have you got any more info on this subject, as Im sure some others on here may look at this, If I remember right "woodland" has summat to do with scouts........a leader or something???

6. Steelyglint

It's usually "woodsmoke" if you mean a leaders name ? and you're right no one should preclude learning from any source !

If anyone is interested in becoming a leader or in being a bush craft instructor it's very easy contact your nearest group who should direct you to their District Commissioner the head honcho for the area in which you live, who should in turn give you all the info you need.

You'll need to be CRB checked, a criminal record doesn't exclude you depending on what it's for of course !

The Scouts website is a good place to start The Scout Association there is a join link there but I'd recommend going local as the first course of action.

If anyone wants any further information feel free to PM or reply on thread or even email me my address is in my profile and publicly accessible !

Enough recruiting now !

7. fishingwalkies

Might give that a bash mate,................when I said "woodland" I meant another member/mod on here called woodland, he is something to do with scouts etc, not sure what!

8. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

do you get training to become a scout leader?? have had a look into it, but not sure what i would need to do....

9. Steelyglint

Shady,

Yes and quite a bit of it, frankly it's one of the things that puts some people off, to get what is known as your woodbeads or wood badge you have quite a few training sessions to attend which can be a PITA that said I look at it from a positive point of view, it's all learning and it's all free, first aid child protection are the 2 you need to make a start actually getting involved in being a leader.

The wood badge isn't an essential I'll try to find you the link so you can have a look what's involved, the best course I've done with Scouts was "Scouting skills" fire lighting, map reading and compass work axe and saw (I teach that one) organising tents and equipment pitching big old storm havens and more.

If you're comfortable doing so PM me your precise location and I'll get you your District Commissioners details.

Regards

Martin

10. Steelyglint

11. Steelyglint

One last thing an advantage of being a warranted leader is that you get access whenever you want to any of the hundreds of Scout camp-sites across the country, hammocking and wild camping is encouraged on most if not all of them and there are some fantastic facilities available !

12. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

Going a little of topic to educate the masses on where this phrase came from, and how i discovered the story.....

When i was about 18 i was given a silver pewter with a glass bottom, and was told the story behind the reasoning to the glass bottom. In the land of Plymouth there was many pubs where burly men would go drinking. The admirals serving the king would go around looking for men who could serve the armed forces and drop a shilling into their drinks. By drinking the contents they were accepting the kings shilling, therefore they used glass bottoms so if there was a coin they could "refuse the kings shilling".

Anyway cheers for the links, i have filled in a online form so will await a response, i am now also aware that bear grylls is president of the scouts (or some role like that), maybe he will give the training on how to get a camera crew to the top of a cliff before he reaches the summit :D

13. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

shady you could be the next bear frills

14. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

Shady, that is an urban legend mate, not true. Even in those days the law would not have allowed it.