1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Just for fun

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by stephenjames213, Apr 9, 2012.

1. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

you and 8 friends are flying home after a trip away , The motors on your plane stop working and you crash in to a remote forest that's coverd in snow and all 8 of you survive but the two chartering the plane die, It's 20 days walk to the nearest village and you where not due to fly home for another 9 days , your going to have to walk and survive the best you can until one person in your group comes a cross the holding area in the plane and finds shipment's of crates, on coming back to the group who are freaking out he gets every one together to have a better look and he then take charge , on opening all the crates you find all sorts of stuff then self apointed leader( the one that aint freaking) explains that we need to put our heads together and pick what kit you need to get home.... remember you only have a couple minits to get your gear and on the move as the air craft is leaking fuel and will blow up..

You are only aloud to take 8 items 1 per person
    The list

X10 sun glasses.
    X10 addidas track suits.
    X1 axe
    x1 rifle with 6 rounds
    x1 100mtr of cord
    X10 bottles of water
    x2 crates of cider
    x1 torch
    X1 shovel
    x1 flare gun with one flare
    x10 mars bars
    X1 fully loaded first aid kit
    x1 knife
    x100 newspapers
    x5mtr of tarp
    x1 4 man tent
    x1 1ltr of fuel with a match box with 18 matches
    x6 baseball caps
    x2 lighters
    x3 double duvets
    x1 crate full of coal
    x1 crate of mobile phones bound for the uk
    x3 shaving kits
    X1 box with crackers and cheese
    x1 needle and cotton
    x1 fishing kit minus the rod
    x1 fire steal with no striker

bear in mind each 1 of you is only aloud one selection so that's 8 from the list above ... just as you think lady luck has for got about you one member finds a rucksack with
    x1 water container that folds up
    x1 compass
    x1 striker for the fire steal
    but upon finding this you have to pick one item from the sack to chuck away and replace with the item you pick from the list..

Please pick your 8 and give a little reason why ...
    then maybe we could have a debate and a little bonding over this .
    regards steve

2. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

So i CAN pick 8 items from the list including those found in the rucksack .............

ok so from the rucksack I'd dump the striker for the fire steel as its least useful.

So my kit for the 8 of us would be

- RUCKSACK - CARRYING GEAR - INNER FRAME CAN BE USED OVER A FIRE AS A GRIDLE ETC
    - COMPASS FOR NAVIGATION/TIME TELLING/DIRECTION FINDING - IF IT HAS A MAGNIFYING GLASS IN IT FOR FIRE LIGHTING POTENTIAL TOO
    - FOLDING WATER CONTAINER FOR WATER OR OTHER STUFF STORAGE AND ROCK BOILING IF WE NEED TO PURIFY WATER OR COOK AS NO METAL CONTAINERS WHERE FOUND

From the list -

X1 axe - AXE WITH THIS MOST OF OUR NEEDS FOR TOOLS AND MATERIALS CAN BE MET
    x1 100mtr of cord
    - A MILLION USES FROM SHELTER CONSTRUCTION TO SNARES OR FISHING
    X10 bottles of water - A WATERBOTTLE EACH PLUS SPARES - YOU CAN ALSO BOIL WATER IN THESE IF NEEDS BE
    X1 fully loaded first aid kit - FIRST AID AND DEPENDING ON CONTENTS EVERYTHING FROM FIRE TO WATER PREP
    x5mtr of tarp - 5 METERS OF TARP - SHELTER, BOAT MAKING, WATER COLLECTION IN RAIN, CAN BE MAKE INTO ROYCROFT RUCKSACKS ETC ETC
    x1 1ltr of fuel with a match box with 18 matches
    - FIRE LIGHTING, SIGNALING, FIRST AID -FUEL CONTAINER CAN BE USED ONCE EMPTY AS A FIRE CARRIER TO SAVE MATCHES
    x3 double duvets - 3 X DOUBLE DUVETS - THESE WOULD ALLOW EVERYONE TO SLEEP AND SLEEP, A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP IN A EMERGENCY IS OF MAX IMPORTANCE. THESE CAN ALSO BE MADE INTO CLOTHING OR OTHER THINGS AS NEEDED.

Last two items its a toss up between
    X1 shovel - MULTI USE FROM CONSTRUCTION TO FRYING PAN
    x1 knife - AS WITH THE AXE A MULTIPURPOSE TOOL

And I think I'd likely opt for the shovel as I have the axe to cut with .............:confused:

x2 crates of cider - CAN WE DRINK THESE BEFORE WE LEAVE??
    x10 mars bars - CAN WE EAT THESE BEFORE WE LEAVE?
    x1 crate of mobile phones bound for the uk - ARE THESE CHARGED DO THEY WORK?

Of course the list is subjective - these items I think best for general usage but if it were in the jungle or Arctic this might change - likewise the skill level of the group would influence the decision.

3. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

No need for the water mate!!!!!! You have crashed into a snow covered forest!!!!!!!

4. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

I'd take the water bottles as we'd need to melt snow for water and without a metal container the easiest way would be body heat - the bottle could be carried within the layers of clothing so body heat melts the snow and keeps the water from freezing!! Melting snow is a slow fuel consuming process as it takes a lot of snow to produce a little water .....

Dehydration is as much, if not more, dangerous in cold conditions because people firstly dont feel as thirsty and secondly because the wind etc steals moisture for the body - thirdly staying hydrated allows the body to regulate temperature so keeps you warmer - eating snow can cause body temperature to drop and can also give people the squats.

5. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

I'd have to sit there and drink the 2 crates of cider while I think about it for a day, no point in rushing these things;)

For purely scientific reasons, I will now sit and drink 2 crates of cider then have another look at the list. Excellent test Steve:D

6. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

like you say Ian you could have a post crash party first:D...things always look better after a few cans of cider...

7. Matt

first things first build a fire with the coal(and melt some snow to fill the water containers) and hand out a can or two or the cider with a mars bar each ......put up the tent for the night and wait till the next day to come up with a plan as most mistakes are made when people are in shock so some time to get a grip is always good!!!....

hand out the sunglass,s couse there no harm in looking cool whilste lost (just kidding guys these will stop you getting snow blind)
    put the track suits on and then fill them with the news papers to add insulation (keep warm)

then dont go anywhere!!! stay with the plane and make your self as compfy as you can useing the equipment around you ....set up a watch rota as in time there will be a rescue plane/team sent out to find you (most people can last 2 weeks with out food)....(send up the flare when plane is herd)

make sure theres someone who can handle the rifle as we could be in bear country!!!

dig threw the whats left of the plane and look for a battery (to wire up to the phones to charge them) ....try calling for help on them .....

apoint some one in charge of the stores....
    then set up hunting partys (for food)
    and just keep everyone busy (as if your doing something your not spending time flapping)
    send a team out to clear an area and use some coal to write sos in the snow (this would need clearing daily of fresh snow fall)

8. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

I'm seeing a flaw with this plan already:rolleyes::D

9. Matt

lmao@Ian