1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Just starting

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by megga, Feb 11, 2012.

1. megga

megga Extremely Talkative

Well wanting to get into all this, and being brought up in Derby, i have no skills what so ever. So i brought a compass, and went to the woods to try out (what ever compass readingis) very suprised as the journey took 1 1/2 hours and i got exactly where i wanted to on the map, and whilest walking through, i made a feather stick (first time) and started a small fire IN THE SNOW using sticks covered in snow, i know! bear grills, move over. May be somthing simple to you guys, but with no one teaching me and first time, i am quite happy. So any advice what to try next??

2. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

well done mate you got the first base covered (fire)...then you need a shelter some thing to drink and something to eat!!...before you go running into the woods to build a block of flats and snare every breathing animal in there you need to make sure your not going to get into trouble (with the land owner)....but you've done well so far .....keep up the good work and we will see you at the bushy:)

3. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

Sounds like a good start mate, you've got further than I have in the last 17 years.

4. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

If you navigated well, and made fire, then the next thing as someone has said is shelter and food and water!

When its been snowing water is EASY....obviously
    But food is harder in the snow!!!!!....although tracking animals is easy in the snow.
    Shelter is based on how long you will be there...........and the situation you are in, it can be as luxurious as you want or not!!!!!

The main reasons for shelter and fire is for comfort, for your mind,.............. if you can think straight and are comfortable then your mind will be able to cope with more in the situation you are in.....

5. megga

Cheers, i am used to hunting with sub 12ft air rifle, been out today (have permission on a local farm) to set up a hide for tomorrow morning before dusk, he is having trouble with magpies, and you do what you have to to keep the farmer happy (i must be bloody mad as it was well below freezing at 5pm today, and in a hawthorn bush) and i did see a couple of bunnys (nice big and jucy ones) but in the snow?? over 100 meters away, they were up, i stayed so still untill they calmed down again, 5 mins later and one step, they were up again, then of they went. but i did see there runs so very easy, so i think i could snear them. As for shelter, i have no where to do it.

I am hoping to get permission in the next farm as he has woodlands and i would love to spend the week end in there.

So as regards to traps, i have built a larsen, and know about rabbit snears (althoughi have not done one yet) but what else should i need to know??? I am ok with skinning and gutting and killing by hand ( loads of experiance of that)

6. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

Does the field that you are able to shoot on have a hedge row? if so string a basha off of that.......simples!

7. megga

I have 350 acres, suppose i could whack one up, but have to run it past the farmer first and not sure how he would take it as i have only had the permission for around 7 months, and i only got it to help with magpie control (didnt get one today) but he has gradualy let me shoot what i want (as long as it is on the gl)