1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Lappy suggestions

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by HoboHubz, Jan 23, 2012.

1. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

Hi folks, i was wondering if anyone on here is a lappy wiz & could reccommend a laptop with a max price of £550 :)

2. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

compaq ranges like the presarios are good value.... Acer Aspires and Toshiba Satellites should be avoided at all costs!! (the power jack is a small piece of plastic inside that breaks with wear and tear rather easily) avoid fujitsu siemans.. bad value for money and rather slow!! I paid £550 for a compaq presario 2 years ago and it has never been formatted (lils toshiba satellite has) but this is normally down to how it is used. The Compaq machines are made and programmed by HP (Hewlitt Packard) and they are good little machines. The processor is also important, a dual core AMD is what you will get for that amount of money... if you can barter with the supplier or take to a qualified techie to upgrade to a quad core (maybe an extra £70 or so) you will see the benefits ;)

3. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

I got a samsung rv510 for £200 brand spankers and it is a very good all round lap top

celeron r quadcore cpu t4000@ 280ghz 279ghz all for £200

4. Shady

where the hell you get that from?? :eek: i know Celeron is Intels budget processor, but if you buy a machine with an Intel processor they are generally more expensive!! and i thought celerons were dual core, not quad core??

5. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

it's all about the who you know that works for samsung mate lol i used to get lap tops on order to (not stolen all above the law), as we all know you by the lates sony blueray lappy today and next week the new model is out ,, i used to get all the show laptops and 2month old models for under half price

6. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

7. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

8. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

9. Shady

Never heard of these.... but very good spec... well found that man!!

10. Cavey

Cavey Very Talkative

I'm more for quantity than quality when it comes to laptops. Two crappy Acer Aspires and a second-hand Mac thingy. It means I can always get online as long as my broadband line is ok.

No sense in having a decent lappy unless you really need it for travelling about I reckon. :D