1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Log Cabin Vs Yurt

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Chat' started by Shady, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

Ok having viewed a video posted on here earlier i saw a man build a log cabin... so after considering how long it would take i made a search for log cabins to buy.... retailing from around £2500 for a half decent one!! Now me and Stephen have held a discussion before, if we manage to buy some desolate woodland in the middle of somewhere which would we prefer... now Steves yurts for the size he wants are nothing short of expensive (around £6000 if i remember right).... so now i offer this up for discussion.... If you have to live in woodland on a permanent basis would you buy a yurt (an item that never saw the mongols go cold in winter) or a log cabin (that grizzly adams found comfortable during the early 1800's)????

2. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

Stephens a carpenter isn't he? if so... you can build a very good sized cabin for £2500. i wouldn't buy one of the flat pack ones personally. I've built one for a client once and it was crap. the main thing you pay for in them is the insulation, which was again, crap. if you build a cabin from scratch, you can make it to the dimensions you want and make it 10 times better for the same price

3. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

a yurt still 110% all day long

4. stephenjames213

You can make a palet cabin , very cheap and very easy to make £200-£300 max

5. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Log Cabin for me I would like to know it was still standing if a tree fell on it or maybe after a heavy fall of snow.
    Plus you could put things like shelfs up for storage etc.
    Log Cabin all the way for me.

6. stephenjames213

thing is i do like log cabins but the down fall is killing our woodlands to make them:(

7. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Yes that is one downside but this day and age we realise we can't just chop them down and leave them, most managed woodlands these days replant in place of fallen/felled trees.

I would love nothing better to own my own woodland to manage and have a nice site for a log cabin.
    When I win the lotto that will be one of the first things on my list.

8. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

i'll be your next door neighbour mate :) just think, the only sound when you walk outside is that of the birds chirping and wind making the trees rustle!! No council tax either!! :D

9. Cavatina

Cavatina Extremely Talkative

I'd go for a brick cabin, have you never read the stories of the three little piggies. :pig::pig::pig:. Geoff. :hp-beer: