1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Man Hauling harness?

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Chat' started by Ian, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

I know it sounds like a strange request but I really need some sort of harness for moving heavy loads at work and I can't seem to find anything on the market:confused:
    I did my shoulder in (again:rolleyes:) recently and I think it is due to carrying heavy loads on my shoulders and also dragging heavy loads on a tarp behind me, using my shoulder/neck muscles in the wrong direction. The doctor reckons it could be a type of tendinitis, possibly caused by a couple of whiplash injuries I have sustained in the past and that it will never get better, only worse.

I'm sure arctic explorers use this kind of stuff still, although I dread to think how much it costs:eek:. Also, I can't find any information on how to make my own.

Can anybody help me? I've got at least another 30years of hard graft ahead of me so I need to look after my body but still keep working.

2. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

Not a clue mate, surely your GP would be better to advise in this situation, with regards to the types of injuries and a harness to try and remedy the problem, I personally wouldnt want to advise you in a way that may cause more harm.

3. Ian

The GP is a bit useless TBH. I think I found the sort of thing I'm after, its just a question of spreading the load and being a bit careful but I think I will be talking to an osteopath before parting with any money as the only one I've found is the best part of a hundred quid!
    I expect there is a simple operation I could have but try getting anything out of the NHS these days:rolleyes: Bloody tories have buggered that one up in double quick time:mad:

4. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

why don't you use a sledge mate to pull around heavy loads

5. Ian

When I've got bulky loads that won't easily go into a wheel barrow I either put them in a big builder's bag (crane bag, dumpy bag, cubic metre bag etc) or on a big tarpaulin and drag them like a sledge. Its the dragging thing that I think is not helping my shoulder and that's what I want a harness for.

Mind you on Thursday it worked out well as I had a 16 year old lad to do the dragging for me:D

6. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

7. Ian

That looks like a good idea Gazo, I'll look into that. I used to use harnesses when I worked in the sewer industry, wish I'd nicked one now as they had two hooking points, one at the top of your back and one nearer the middle, they were also well padded but I've struggled to find them on the net, I'm just rubbish at searching for stuff:eek:

8. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

sorry to come in late on this thread but by man hauling do you mean for pulling a pulk or such in winter conditions??

9. Ian

Just for pulling loads. Anything too bulky to go in a wheel barrow. Similar concept but instead of a sled it will be a load of hedge clippings on a tarp or a load of tree branches tied together (like the other day).

I have been experimenting at work, Had to prune about 6-8feet off a tree so I tied the branches together and tied that rope around my waist, had to do a few trips up a fairly steep garden. It does work and seemed to help my shoulder so seemed good but it does need some padding and a few alterations were made so I don't keep catching my heels on the load as I'm walking but I can still get it up steps without catching. But the principle works. One thing though, I'm lucky I've got strong legs, and I think they're going to get a bit stronger:D