1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

meths burners

Discussion in 'Stoves' started by sapper, Apr 11, 2012.

1. sapper

sapper Quite Talkative

Getting the best from your meths burner
    [HR][/HR]As a few of us have meths burners I thought it may be an idea to give some tips on getting the best out of them.First an quick lesson on how they work.

The burner is effectively a sealed container apart from the holes around the rim,when you fill the burner the metal heats up and so does the meths,as the meths gets hotter it expands and turns to a gs which comes out of the holes under pressure.We all know what happens when you ignite a flammable gas under pressure.
    So the ideal situation is to have vapourised meths coming out of the holes as soon as possible.
    The way this works is called priming.The best way to prime is to spill a little meths on the outside of the burner and igniting this,also keep you meths warm.I use a small plastic bottle and keep it inside the pack in summer but in winter I keep it in an inside pocket on my jacket.
    To make sure your meths is warm in the morning ,take it into your sleeping bag with you.

Top tips for meths burners.
    1.keep the fuel warm
    2. only use as much as you need
    3. only boil as much water as you need
    4. Use a windshield every time ,even if there is no wind
    5.keep the burner from direct contact with the floor if possible.

All these tips will save you fuel and allow your burner to work at it's best.

To give you some idea of how efficient they can be ,it is possible to boil 500ml of water with only half a fluid ounce of meths and do it in about 4 minutes.This compares favourably with the same amount of water in 3 minutes for gas.

2. m00thman

m00thman Extremely Talkative

I like to use alcohol burners. The ones that are home made (from soda cans) are very lightweight and very powerful. The only downside is that if you're not paying attention, you can easily chrush them, because they are really fragile. But if you store it in your boiling water recipient while you travel (I can't find better words now :)) should be fine. And, of course, compared with the heavier ones, made of brass, like that ones made by Trangia, you can't store the alcohol directly in them, so you have to appreciate how much fuel it takes for your needs.

I made a few recently. Here are some pictures. As you can see (in the last picture), boiling time was 5:42 (for 500 ml of very cold water, using that kettle - wich has a lid). But that was inside, not outside, where is windy and all that. One of the nicest things about this alcohol stoves is that it doesn't need a stand for kettle or whatever you're using. You can put it directly on the top of the burner after the flames are present.

Alcohol stove 1.jpg Alcohol stove 2.jpg Alcohol stove 3.jpg

3. treetop

treetop Quite Talkative

hi has anyone tried putting sand soaked in petrol or diesel in a penny stove wondered if it would work save me setting fire to myself if some one has already burnt them selves my dad (rip) told me in war he used a tin with petrol in which got me thinking (i do that a lot)thoughts please

4. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

Ya gaze a demo on them at the summer bushy meet called a bengazi burner (stove) used in the second world war by troops in the desert.

5. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

Your idea works best with an old food tin, eg baked been tin, fill 1/4 with sand or earth but be careful with last if has stones in they explode:( poke some holes in the tin above layer of sand and some at the top, pour some petrol in, let it soak in and stand back and light, not the most fantastic stove but it works, WARNING if going to refill make 100% sure that the flame is out and no glowing hot bits

6. treetop

treetop Quite Talkative

hi sounds good just thought that little flames would come out of the little hole that are in a penny stove guess not

7. woodstock

woodstock Quite Addicted

Perlite also works you know the stuff you put in plant pots to soak up the water

8. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

Is that the same as vermiculite? Westland Vermiculite - 10 Litre

9. woodstock

woodstock Quite Addicted

I would think thats the same product different name just looked it up yea thats the stuff, It hold quiet a lot of fuel for the small amount you need to use.