1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Multi Tools

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Tools' started by Gazo, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Thinking of buying a new multi tool but there are so many around these days.
    Not looking at spending loads on one, but one thing it must have is a good set of plyers.
    What do you guys use, what do you recommend.

Cheers ;)

2. Woodland

Woodland Extremely Talkative

Gerber and Leatherman are the two forerunners in the game. Gerber tend to have stronger pliers, depending on what you use them for the Leatherman pliers tend to twist. I'm not really up to speed with current offerings as I brought a Leatherman 10 years ago and it's still fine. If I'm not mistaken Leatherman offer a 25 year guarentee and Gerber offer lifetime so while initial prices are fairly high you are getting a tool that should last you for life.

3. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

4. Gazo

Funny you should say that Matt I watched the gadget show the other day and they tested about 100 multi tools and the SOG came out at number 1. They tested them for ease of use with cold hands (they dipped there hands in a bucket of ice water for a few mins first), then they put a steel Barb Q together so it had to have all the right tools to do that with ease, then they tested the main blade on how quick it cut a rope and out of the 100 tested the SOG came out tops.
    But I wanted to check as you can't always believe what they say on TV.

5. Matt

to tell you the truth mate Ive had a few muti tools i ether end up losing them or they fall apart (as you never use them for what they were made for) .................any way i was moaning id lost my last one and my miss,s took it upon her self to buy me a new one .....it was only pure luck she bought this one for me mate as she hasn't got a clue what it even does ..............

6. m00thman

m00thman Extremely Talkative

I have a very small multi-tool made by Leatherman. It's the Squirt PS4 model. Being so small you can't really do too much things with it. It's a key chain multi-tool, so I have it on me as an EDC thing (together with a Fenix E01 flashlight). I haven't used it that much, but it's fun to have it on you.

Leatherman.jpg

7. rick812

rick812 Extremely Talkative

Leatherman is a good multi-tool as the Royal Marines get them issued so it must be good as i had one from an ex royal but since has been nicked:mad: but overall they do make good tools

8. sweet169

sweet169 Quite Talkative

matt that SOG looks a nice bit of kit if you dont mind me asking was it expensive :)

9. Matt

think i payed around £50 for it at special ops up near wrigleys factory mate

10. Matt

11. sweet169

sweet169 Quite Talkative

thanks matt will take a look

12. Vault

Vault Very Talkative

when it comes to quality your left with only one brand Leatherman, everything else is a cheaper copy.

I had one but it was stolen and I've not been able to afford a replacement yet but I still have my trust never go bush without it Swiss Army knife. The model with rhe magnifying glass is in my opinion the best as that can start fire and we all know that fire is essential in the bush not just for warmth but for cooking.

I saw on a documentary that if you cook food it gives you more energy than if you eat it raw.

Pliers, I carry a small set, side cutters, allen/hex keys and tne swiss army knife.

Damn I need another Leatherman tool

13. m00thman

SOG, Victorinox and Gerber have some very nice multi-tools. Especially SOG, which are very high quality.

14. Vault

Vault Very Talkative

I can comment on SOG products, I've never seen or used that brand.

Victornox is a proven, trusted product around the globe.

But Gerber, I will NEVER waste another dollar on their junk products, and I say that because I've bought two expensive knives made by them and one folding saw made by Gerber.

Each of those Gerbers products used Allen/Hex screws to hold the handles together and the crews became loose from use on each product, fell out and were lost rendering the product useless.

Would I trust my life or the life or my kids in a survival situation on Gerber products ? NO WAY.

15. Gazo

Thanks for the heads up will be removing the little star drive screws in mine today and coating them in loctite to be on the safe side.

16. Vault

Vault Very Talkative

To make it last definately use Locktite, sadly I'd lost the screws as they fell out and by the time I'd realised it and checked my Gerber products they were all missing screws and eventually there werent enough left to stop the handles from rattling and keeping them firm so I kept the blades and binned the rest.

When you a product that is designed and marketed to save your life when shite happens, you shouldnlt have to pull it apart and secure the fastners with Locktite. After having three Gerbers drop screws Next I'll buy a Leatherman.

Or if I can find the SOG brand I'll check them over and see how they're constructed.

17. m00thman

Well, to be honest, I haven't used anything else - except that little Leatherman (key chain size) that I mentioned in another post. But I heard that those brands are trustworthy. Especially SOG and Victorinox. Like you said, everyone knows how good those Victorinox folding knives are.

Here are some very nice multi-tools from these brands:

SOG Multi Tools - Heinnie Haynes
    Victorinox Multi Tools - Heinnie Haynes

18. marklovell

marklovell Slightly Talkative

I own both a Gerber and a Leatherman. I much prefer the leatherman. It folds down smaller, and is easier (IMO) to use as a knife or a screwdriver than the Gerber. That said, the Gerber is a far better pair of pliers and can easily be opened with one hand.
    I also have a para frame knife that I swear by.
    All for my day job in theatre!

P.S. first post here! *waves*

ETA: My leatherman is a 'charge'. I think it was £100 5 years ago. The Gerber I have had for about 11 years and I think I paid £60. M.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  19. Kernowek Scouser

Kernowek Scouser Quite Addicted Site Donor

In keeping with my budget bushcraft ethos, I am the proud owner of the Tescos multi tool, which cost £4.99.

It has a set of pliers, screwdriver with several adjustable heads, has rule marks in cm's and inches and all the usual guff you get with a Swiss army knife.

Considering the price and the retailer, it is actually rather good, so good in fact when I made the mistake of showing it to me Dad, who is a long standing master of tools, for an expert assessment, he nicked it (or borrowed it, but forgot to return it as he insists ...Scousers!) and uses it often as his in house (as opposed to in the shed) go to tool.

I got myself another as it is a handy little thing, for fixing things around the house if nothing else.

Can't find a link on Tescos Direct, but they definitely still do them, they are to be found with their camping gear in the stores that stock such kit.

20. Matt

i too use a cheap multi tool as i dont want to lose the SOG when out in the bush as the miss,s would kill me pmsl