1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

my basic first aid kit

Discussion in 'First Aid' started by elliott92, Apr 8, 2012.

1. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

on our last outing i realised the hard way that i needed to put together a medical kit...

one of the lads forgot rule 101 of using a knife, he was cutting towards himself. he slipped and cut his thumb. the cut was not deep, but a very large cut that sliced his skin off down to the flesh. by no means a life threatening wound, but he was leaking a surprising amount of blood and started to panic.

i wasn't carrying a medical kit so we had to improvise. as the other lad we were with cleaned the wound with fresh water, i found a clean pair or socks we had in the bag. i cut the socks into strips to use as a dressing. when the wound was properly cleaned i wrapped his thumb in the improvised bandages and secured them with some electrical tape i had. this was by no means perfect first aid, but it stemmed the bleeding and stopped him getting clarrot all over my gear, and he managed to see the night through with it.

this really was a lesson learnt the hard way, so the other day i decided to get myself a medical kit together;
    i popped into tesco and found they had a few pre-assembled kits. but in my opinion, you were paying £12.00 for the bag it came in. the few contents they contained were of sub standard quality. so i set about putting one together from scratch. this is what i came up with...

IMG_0716.jpg IMG_0719.jpg

it contains:

three bandages
    savlon anti-septic spray
    bottle of hand sanitizer
    vinyl gloves
    ibuprofen
    surgical scissors
    medical tape
    wound dressings
    assortment of plasters

and i got a tupperware box to put it in as i couldn't find any other suitable container. managed to pick that up for about £13.00. not much more than what their pre-assembled kits cost and double the quality.

iv'e still got a couple of things to add:

tweezers
    sling
    antihistamine tablets
    crepe bandage for securing a fracture
    anti bite pen
    larger wound dressings

so what have you guys got in your medical kits?

can you think of anything else i should add to mine?

UPDATED:

so picked up a few of the bits on my "to get list" today...

003.jpg

cohesive bandage
    allergy pills
    crepe bandage
    tweezers
    large wound dressings
    anti bite pen
    antiseptic wipes

one problem with this....

005.jpg 011.jpg

haha so now im on the hunt for something to keep it all in. not keen on the Tupperware box so i might order a medic pouch from ebay. but now im pretty happy with my medical kit and think i've got everything i need atleast.

edit:

finally found something suitable to keep it all in;

001.jpg
    002 (2).jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

thats a good kit so far mate ....id add some supper glue mate...

3. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

I also have a wound stitching kit and blade for sealing wounds

4. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

ah superglue, i forgot that! we've used it for cuts at work a few times. jesus that stuff stings lol.

do i use a normal needle and thread for a stitching kit or do they have to be medical grade?

5. sapper

sapper Quite Talkative

I have a kit that goes with me almost everywhere,I have two boys who are a bit accident prone.
    It contains an assortment of plasters and a large strip plaster
    Steristrips in 3 sizes for big cuts
    micropore tape
    triangular bandage
    safety pins
    liquid nurofen sachets
    ibuprofen
    little brown tablets the dentist gave me for intense toothache
    scissors
    finger dressing
    lint free dressings in a couple of sizes,mostly large as they can be cut smaller
    insulating tape
    bite pen
    savlon bite cream
    puritabs
    tweezers
    voven bandage
    nonwoven bandage
    burn pack

I find this gets us out of most problems and doesn't weigh or cost that much.

6. Matt

ive lernt the hard way about carrying a first aid kit .....was out on a weekend and i was shot in the head!!!....needless to say we have a fairly comprehensive first aid kit on site at all times Photo-0020.jpg

7. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

a half moon needle works best i use 2lb or 4lb carp line

8. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

haha that looks pretty painful matt. what were you playing, marko polo air rifle stylee?

ahh okay cheers stephen, got plenty of mono line that will work. good idea

9. Matt

yes mate it did sting a tad ....but we still carried on with the weekends shoot ...(stiff uper lip and all that)

10. rick812

rick812 Extremely Talkative

i managed to bag a trauma kit from when i was in the forces

11. woodstock

woodstock Quite Addicted

something I keep as part of my first aid kit a feather very useful bit of kit once serilized you can use it to clean dirt from a wound remove debris from the eyes and you can use it to induce vomiting.
    also some birch polypore use a small amount in boiled water as a effective gargle also as a emergency plaster

12. m00thman

m00thman Extremely Talkative

Here's a link on this subject: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/04/he...real.html?_r=1

So, is it a good idea to have super glue in your medical kit for this purpose? I think the answere is, maybe - if you really know what you're doing, because this method only works for some types of wounds. For other types, the risks may overcome the benefits.

Anyway, you have a nice kit. Mine is two in one - a medical kit and a survival kit in the same pouch.