1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

My recent Bushy trip to Plymouth

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Chat' started by Gazo, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

This was my first camping trip in almost 10 years and my first time sleeping in the woods in over 20 years so was really looking forward to it.
    I left home at 7am on friday morning and arrived in Plymouth just after 9am where I met Matt & Lee who were waiting for me to transport me and my gear to the bushy site which was about 3 miles from where I parked my car.

On arriving at the bushy site we started to set up our camp around the main camp area the lads had been using before.
    A main fire area was set up with a large tarp to keep everything dry.

Once we were all set up and got the main camp fire going we made a well earn brew and then Matt took me for a walk so I could get my bearings and learn abit about the area.
    It was great to see how much wildlife was in the area and so close to the camp, which just goes to show we had not disturbed the local wildlife.
    To the one side of the camp is a nice fast flowing stream so plenty of cold fresh water which I guess is coming down from the moors.
    We had Rabbit, Fox, Badgers, Pheasant, Woodcock, Owls, Ducks, Squirrels and deer all in the same wood and adjoining field to where we were staying which was great to see.
    Few of the lads went out on a hunting trip for our dinner and came back with a few bunnies and wood pigeons for the pot which was turned into a stew on the first night and a curry on the second night.

First night I think we had all had a busy long day and were all bedded down by 10.30pm which is the earliest I had been to bed in years.
    But as I had gone so early I was back up at 2am and back at the camp fire making a brew, hour or so later Matt joined me and we sat talking until the sun came up.
    We done lots of bushy things on the Saturday, I made a walking stick and catapult, Steve made a Swiss arrow and a javelin while Rob was busy making an A Frame bed.
    Steve then made one of the best curry's I have had in a long time just before Steve and Lee left for the farm out buildings to shoot a few rats.
    We were all ready to hit the sack by 11pm after a long day but again I was up early at 4.30am. had a brew and some breakfast and we were all ready to pack up and head home.
    I arrived home about 11am and was totally knackered and after a shower (as I smelt like a fire) I fell asleep for a few hours. I was then in bed by midnight and had a really good sleep. But woke up this morning with my legs and feet hurting and chapped lips from being out in the cold for 2 days and coming home to a warm house.
    Anyway I could go on all day about what we managed to fit into the weekend but I wont but all I will say is if you get chance to go then do it you will be glad you did.
    Matt & Steve and all the other guys I met while there are all top guys and glad to call them mates.
    Anyway I am already thinking about my next trip down and can't wait to be honest.

2. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

Sounds like a good weekend Gaz. :)

3. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

i think i can speak for all the plymouth guy,s and say we all enjoyed your company and your more than welcome to come down again on another bushy/camp weekend ......matt

4. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

yes very good company if i may say so my self:D

5. herzog

herzog Quite Talkative

Sounds good :) Wish i had got around to doing that when i was down in plymouth :(

6. Matt

are you not home for the half term???....if so we have a weekend planned for then

7. herzog

herzog Quite Talkative

oh awesome :) When is half term? I will be home from 1st april until 25th i think.

8. Matt

your in luck mate we have a weekend planned for the 13th----15th .......if you look in the meets section of the forum you will see a thread plymouth local meets ...we are having one this weekend but when i get back i will start the list for the 13th---15th meet get you name down mate dont forget these meets are free as all we ask is you pitch in around the site to help get it ready for the bushy bash in september ...matt