1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

'Pimping' my Czech army bed roll

Discussion in 'Kit Chat' started by Kernowek Scouser, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Kernowek Scouser

Kernowek Scouser Quite Addicted Site Donor

I took my bed roll to the Footsteps RV, near Truro, last weekend and it was warm and comfy to sleep in, but an absolute bugger to carry.

So I'm thinking, other than umming and ahhing over getting a new pack (which I will do at some point) for now I might just get a light (ish) two season rectangular bag, used in conjunction with the Czech bivvy outer and a silk bag liner I already have, for the warmer summer months. It would be lighter on the back and more compressible (and therefore more easily portable).

I have found the following bag and wondered if any of you good people had experience of/opinions on using one?

BRITISH ARMY SURPLUS - JUNGLE SLEEPING BAG
    £15.00
    !BlW+lyw!mk~$(KGrHqQH-CoEtsOQvTfHBLbZ0UyZiQ~~_35.jpg
    *British Army Surplus - Jungle Sleeping Bag - GuardsArmyGear.com - British Army Surplus Clothing &

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Colin

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the site linked to.

2. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

i think rick812 (lee) has one of the bags you asked about it may be worth sending him a pm .....

3. Kernowek Scouser

Cheers Fella

4. rick812

rick812 Extremely Talkative

i got one of the jungle sleeping bags and have used it loads they weigh next to sod all and are comfy and they do shrink loads in the compression sack.

5. Kernowek Scouser

Cheers fella,

That is exactly what I wanted to know, so I think I'm going to get one.

Roll on pay day :D

6. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

Just as a side note. Get one of those carry cases that tents come in to carry your bedroll, makes things easier, either that or tie it up and lash it to your pack. :)

7. BushRat

BushRat Slightly Talkative

Do what i do and pinch my dads bivvy bag hehehe

8. Kernowek Scouser

If anyone has wondered how waterproof this bed roll is, when the heavy rain was being blown under my basha by strong winds at the summer bushy meet last week, the outer shell I took with me got a good soaking, but I remained nice and dry inside it.

Definitely a cheap bivi option IMO.

9. ReubenBushcraft

ReubenBushcraft Quite Addicted

Wrap the sleepin mat around the sleeping bag?

10. Kernowek Scouser

I lashed it to the bottom of my Austrian Alice pack going (with a sleep mat, sleeping bag, bag liner and poncho liner inside and it rolled up smaller than with just the inner woollen and cotton sheets it comes with) then utilising my new found knot tying skills, rigged up a carry handle for it, which made my pack a lot less awkward to carry, on the way back.

No dramas either way.

11. 38thfoot

38thfoot Slightly Addicted Site Donor

The queen gave me one of those bags, it is effectively the same as a US poncho liner with a zip attached; it definitely isn't that warm so depends how cold you sleep. I have always erred on the size of comfort and taken a warmer than required sleeping bag with me at the expense of weight and bulk.
    As an infantryman we all bought the smallest sleeping bags we could get away with; many including me migrated back to the big issue doss bag after a few unformfortable nights out. I would choose a warmer sleeping bag and less of everything else.

Your body only recovers if you are in deep sleep, if you are too cold to be comfortable then your body does not get to recover.

12. Kernowek Scouser

The jungle bag is definitely just a one season bag (that season being a hot one). When it gets colder I'll just switch back to the wool and cotton blankets that come with the bed roll, which I have used before down to zero. If you know of a 4/5 season bag that either relatively lightweight or more importantly packs down small, let me know as I've struggled to find on.

Cheap is good too :)

13. woodstock

woodstock Quite Addicted

Silvermans have Artic bags good to -14 £150

14. Kernowek Scouser

Cheers fella,

It's a little pricey for a cheapskate like me, this is more my speed
    Arctic Sleeping Bag
    arctic-camping-sleeping-bags-[4]-425-p.jpg
    Synthetic Fibre Filled
    Mummy Hood with draw cord
    Velco filled flap over zip on the inside
    2 large net pouches on the inside by hands! A good place to keep keys, torches, ammo and anything else you need to keep close.
    1/2 Length Front Heavy Zip
    Weighs 3kg and has a diameter of 250mm
    Size Medium upto 5’9”

15. ReubenBushcraft

ReubenBushcraft Quite Addicted

How big is is when packed?

16. 38thfoot

38thfoot Slightly Addicted Site Donor

that is the issue bag, it is bloody big when packed but it is warm. look on it being the bottom foot of an issue bergan.
    I always found that the best way of packing it was not to use the compression sack but to just stuff it and my bivi bag loose into my bergan, that way it moulded around everything else and when I wanted it I simply pulled it out in bivi bag and got in.

Pretty confident that you will not get a warmer bag cheaper; worth getting one if you have the space.

17. Kernowek Scouser

Cheers for the handy info fella.

I've been doing a bit of hunting about and even the 'technical' (e.g. very expensive) 4/5 season bags are pretty heavy and bulky, so either way to ensure a good, warm nights kip, you're looking at a good chunk of pack space being given over to your sleep gear.

If/WHEN I get one, I'll have to get into the habit of packing better and carrying less stuff I really don't need to avoid carrying my own body weight on my back.

18. woodstock

woodstock Quite Addicted

It is paramount you sleep well because if you don't you are like a badger with a sore behind the next day, rule of thumb is don't skimp on kit that you rely on ie bedding, boots ect.

19. Kernowek Scouser

I've always been a fan of a warm and comfortable nights kip, which is the main reason I invested in this nine kilo monster
    Polish Army Sleeping Mat
    Polish_sleeping_mat.600.jpg
    I've had a great night kip on it, but unless I get a car or hire a sherpa, it will be confined to back garden adventures, as it isn't a backpacking sleep mat :eek:

20. woodstock

woodstock Quite Addicted

Sherpa's are pretty cheap at the moment I would , they come direct from the himalayas and ready to work straight away