1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

ration packs

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by Matt, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

i took a few of theses to the winter bushy and was surprised how tastey the meals were....do you guys use them?

2. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

Yeah i do. Though their use is limited to quick overnighters, long day hikes or full days shooting. If i'm going for more than a night then i usually put the effort in to bring my cast iron stuff and cook some proper food :)

3. Matt

the all day breakfast is nice:D...the omelet,s a bit chewy;)

4. HillBill

Mine are all menu B from the older rat packs. Corned beef hash for brekkie, beef stew n duplings for the main meal with choc pud in choc sauce for desert. :)

I like em, they are the same ones we got issued back when i was in.

5. Matt

probably the same rat packs mate :)

6. HillBill

Expect so. :)

There has just been a thread on another forum about the new ones, they look a bit grim to me. All healthy choices, cereal bars etc "shudders" lol :)

7. bigstancwsw

bigstancwsw Snare & Trap expert

I was going to get a few of them off you at the winter bushy but as you know i wasnt there very long.

8. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

I've tried a few and they were nice enough but like said, their use is a bit limited if you are out for more than a day or two.

Years ago (when I was a teenager) my local army surplus store got a load of German army ration packs in, they were certainly different and very tasty too, if I remember rightly they even had a tin of black pudding in there, at least that's what it translated as:eek:

9. GunnySonics

GunnySonics Slightly Talkative

i always carry one with me in the landrover, just in case a few hours shooting turns into a night lamping, my favorite is the chicken tikka masala or the lamb curry, i bet the Indian Army Rat Packs are pretty amazing....nan breads and everything!!!

10. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

never tried any of these but might get some to try. they're about a couple of quid each aren't they?

11. HillBill

I wish, your looking at £10 each minimum these days.

I tend to buy in bulk, i bought 20 last time for £5 each. They were £9 at the time to buy singles.

12. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

ooooooooft i didn't realize they are that expensive. still like to get one to try though

13. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Yes very expensive, I guess you could make up your own packs for less has anyone tried ?

14. phantomman

phantomman Slightly Talkative

i like rat packs i rember the biscuit brown and biscuit fruit and the bean and sasuages mmmmm now that was tasty i might keep my eye out for a few of these

15. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

haven't tried yet. seen videos on youtube of people doing it. seems easy enough mate

16. phantomman

phantomman Slightly Talkative

just get pot noddles all you need to do is add hot water lol or a tin of beans or veg soup or something it would probs taste better, lol

JUST DONT FORGET THE TIN OPENNER!!!!! lol:D

17. Matt

the main problem with pot poodles is they are a tad bulky (and they taste of cardboard:))

18. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

You can get bags of dehydrated pasta and sauce from the supermarket but you need to read the back as many of them require that you add milk and water. Really you want ones that only need water but I do wonder how the milk ones would taste with just water. It is possible to make these quite palatable, I used to practically live off them at one time and they are not bulky as they are in a bag not a pot.

Couple of things to remember with this sort of food is the need for extra water and a saucepan to prepare it in as I don't think the bag would be up to the job.

19. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

I think the main thing in making you own is to balance the calories out, I am guessing that rat packs are put together to allow the right amount of calories for a adult male.
    they say we need 2500 cals a day but if your walking or working hard a few more won't hurt. But I guess this could be made up from something like a bar of chocolate.
    Putting a pack together for say a few days should be easy as you could use fresh stuff as it would not have time to go off.
    Another thing is getting the right vitamins, Carbs etc so some thinking would have to go into making a rat pack.

20. HillBill

Rat packs are 4500 calories per 24 hr pack as standard, to provide the energy for a soldier carrying heavy kit on active duty. They also constipate you a bit so you don't need to go very often. :)