1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Roots & tubers

Discussion in 'Foraged Food' started by stephenjames213, Jan 4, 2012.

1. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

[FONT=&amp]BURDOCK[/FONT]- Large bush plants, common on wasteland, floppy oval leaves and distinctive thistle like seed head. Has a delicious sweet root, peel before cooking and boil for use like a potato or fry with a little pepper.
    burdoc.jpg
    [FONT=&amp]ARROWHEAD- [/FONT]The roots of this aquatic plant are an energy rich potato replacement. A useful plant to know.
    ahead.jpg
    [FONT=&amp]RAMSON- [/FONT] Broad light green leaf and a star like cluster of small white flowers, you'll smell them before you see them ! Has a strong garlic like aroma but tastes more like an onion. The root looks similar to a spring-onion and can be gently cooked for use in soups or dried for use as a year round flavouring. My favorite outdoor dish is fresh rabbit with nettle and ramson.
    ram.jpg
    [FONT=&amp]PIGNUT- [/FONT] Seen from spring onwards, they have a delicious nut like root which tastes peppery. Best eaten raw.
    pnut.jpg
    [FONT=&amp]THISTLE- [/FONT]The root can be cooked in a similar fashion to Burdock, not the best choice.
    tr.jpg
    [FONT=&amp]DANDELION- [/FONT] Large yellow flower with deeply lobed leaves. The root is commonly roasted as a coffee substitute, it can also fried or used in stews. The leaves are also acceptable as greens. An exception to the rule about plants with milky sap.
    dl.jpg
    [FONT=&amp]CATS-TAIL- [/FONT]Grows up to 15ft, long narrow greyish leaves and thick dsrk seed head, in and near fresh water. All year round food source, in spring eat the root and young stalk, "Cossack asparagus", sautéed like a mild onion. Cut the central stalk into short lengths and add to salad. The head when young and still leaf covered can be cooked like a young corn-cod and eaten in similar fashion.
    ct2.jpg ct.jpg
    [FONT=&amp]WILD PARSNIP [/FONT]Hairy and pungent with toothed leaves and tiny yellow flowers averages 3ft. Root is edible raw but best cooked.
    wp.jpg

i have yet to try them out , i will try my hardest when next out camping to gather some up,, this is a review from my edable root books,and from understanding tuber book

2. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

I may be wrong, but burdock is only good in its 2nd year of growth....or its first!!!!!! which ever the right answer is, the other year its not nice.....I think its burdock.....I may be totally wrong though!