1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Shadys windproofer for gas stoves..

Discussion in 'Bushcraft It Yourself' started by stephenjames213, Jan 4, 2012.

1. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

Now the most important thing is windproofing your cooking pot so that it makes the most of the fuel that you are using, and here i shall direct you on how to windproof a cooker when out in the field...

4 x cardboard folder seperators (them things you get in binders)
    1 x roll of tinfoil
    Selotape
    Scissors
    tent pegs (optional)

1. you lay flat and slightly overlapping the 4 x binder seperators with all the holes on the same side and selotape into place
    2. you measure your windproofer against the height of your stove and trim with scissors if you need to
    3. then cover with tin foil to stop the cardboard from becoming damp or burned
    4. fold into even squares so you can collapse and store the windproofer for further use...
    5. when needed poke out all of the holes through the tinfoil so that you get oxygen flowing upwards and use some of the holes to peg securely if it is extremely windy.

this will minimise waste of fuel as the wind will push the tip of your flame away from the pan and into the atmosphere therefore wasting valuable fuel and energy

2. kwakamonkey

kwakamonkey Quite Talkative

could that silver tape that you use when putting foil backed fibreglass on say air con units work ? ihave a few rolls here

Vitrex Fwj200 Foil Tape

i used to be a thermal lagger and used this almost every day at work for sealing cooltherm pipe lagging and the foil backed glass fibre matting for air con units

3. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

the foil tape would be better mate plus it's for lagging and the heat that goes under im certan of it handleimg a little gas stove;)

4. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

that would work better i agree, i only posted this as if you look all of the items are easily found in a normal corner shop! Simple things without having the hassle of searching every DIY shop do the trick too ;)

5. humperdingle

humperdingle Slightly Addicted

I got one of these: Compact Camping Stove Backpack Wind Shield Windshield | eBay

For using with the Coleman 533... Works really well, is very light, and has pegs within the hinges to anchor into the ground.

I know it's not a DIY option, but they've worked really well, and don't blow about in wind. £5.99... can't go wrong!

6. kwakamonkey

kwakamonkey Quite Talkative

shady .if you would like some tape i could send you some down . i have a few part used rolls that i could strip some off and pop in the post