1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Sharpening a knife.....well!

Discussion in 'Survival Skills' started by fishingwalkies, Jan 15, 2012.

1. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

There are many ways of sharpening a knife in the wild, most of us carry some form of sharpener,......what ever it is!

Japanese water stone
    Wet and dry sandpaper (very fine grit 2000-3000)
    carborundum stone
    etc etc

Myself I use a carborundum, but in the ever persistent quest for lightening my kit I stumbled across a method of sharpening using the wet and dry paper in 2000 grit and 3000 grit! Now I havent tried this method yet as I can get a good edge on my knife using my carborundum stone, by a good edge I mean SHAVE SHARP!!!! basically if you gently stroke your arm with your knife the hairs should be shaved off, or the other test is to remove the print from newspaper without wrecking the newspaper.......thats sharp enough for me.

The sharpness of your knife is very important as its a tool that is used very often in bushcraft survival, from building shelter to preparing food.....so a sharp knife is very important.......

We are lucky enough to have as one of our members a "Proffesional Knife Maker"......so if anyone knows how to sharpen a knife it will be him.

So I would like to take this oppurtunity to invite our resident knife maker to teach us a couple of trade secrets, so we all can benefit from the experts opinion.

cheers

2. Gary Mills

Gary Mills Slightly Talkative

Yeah you can use wet and dry
    But if you have a full flat grind make sure you have the paper one someting flat or you will not get a good edge
    Also if you have a convex grind put the paper on something soft say a bit of cloth
    but the best way to keep a good edge is NEVER LET IT GET TOO DULL (Blunt)

3. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

Sorry forgot to mention the flat surface for the wet and dry.....in the field the bottom of a mess tin is flat enough!!!!!

4. Gary Mills

Gary Mills Slightly Talkative

Yep that will work fine
    make sure you have eaten all the food in there first

5. Woodland

Woodland Extremely Talkative

The irony of having to eat dinner with a blunt knife so that you can sharpen your knife.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  6. Cavatina

Cavatina Extremely Talkative

To achieve regular sharpening and stop the blade from getting too dull, I use a butchers diamond sharpening steel rod. Works well and will bring it along to the Bushbash in February. Geoff.:hp-beer: