1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

@ smokers

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by bigzitt, Feb 23, 2012.

1. bigzitt

bigzitt Slightly Addicted

ok, so your stuck for a few weeks in the forest, your bakky runs out, you havent planted any "dutch plants" so what do ya do?

does anyone know if there's anyway or anything to smoke in the british woods, gasping for a fag would surely add to your anxiety.....if your a smoker that is.

lighting a fag when things are down is good for the spirit.

so my question is ......how do ya make a fag in the woods?:army-cool:

or are you just suppose to go without?:(

2. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

great question! havent a clue about the answer though mate

3. bigzitt

glad to hear it elliot.....

a young lad of age shouldn't know:)

4. bigzitt

how was the fishing in france anyway mate... your dad got a lake or sommat int he.

was it cold?

or am i way late on this:hp-beer:

5. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

just start smokin hurbs in the hand crafted pipe you make while stuck in the bush.

6. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

ye it wasn't bad thanks mate. ye my dads got a lake, but we were working on one of his friends lakes this time. got the rods in on the first night, by the next morning the lake had completely frozen so it stuffed the fishing. and working in minus 19 was a bit chilly. but it was a laugh nonetheless haha

7. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

Have smoked tea leaves rolled in in compo shiny toilet paper (not good) but it was a smoke

8. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

Being a reformed smoker I too have smoked compo rea bags rolled in compo bog roll ............. I've also smoked baccy in newspaper for want of rizla ............ what a sorry state to get in.

BUT nature does offer us some choices - yarrow leaves or Coltsfoot both spring to mind - both were used during the war and I believe (not 100%) that colts foot is still added to "herbal tobacco" ........... of course there is also the native american option niknak which was tobacco mixed with the bark of trees - but I cant remember the species at present!!

On certain courses the smokers get a hard time especially if the instructors are evil like me and dont allow them tobacco or as happened to me in the past only allow you to smoke if you light the ciggy with a bow drill ember!!

9. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

Plant tobacco in the woods you use regularly. Plenty types grow perfectly in the uk. ;)

I tend to take small samples of edible/useful plants from areas with abundance and plant them in the woods near me which dont have them. I'm doing the same with rabbits atm too. Near my parents there are a few good sized warrens, yet behind me, while being a big green area, there are none. The land is unused, just fields, hedgerows and a few sheep and cows. So i'm introducing some rabbits to the area.

But yeah, get some tabacco planted ;)

10. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

perhaps we should bring that rule in on the future bushy events :D.....just kidding guys..

11. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

Hillbill do you own the land behind your place??

12. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

No. Landlord does though, he says it'd be good to see them about the place. The area of land is pretty much unused, there are sheep in one field for lambing season then they go, and thats about it other than a couple of cows from time to time

13. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

We need a dislike button I think :army-confused:

14. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

pmsl@Gazo

15. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

Hope you are kidding! You don't wanna see me without smokes. I once used a bus ticket as a rizla, it was horrible:eek:

Mind you, you guys have reminded me to bring one thing, a pipe!:D