1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

so guys whats this????????

Discussion in 'Wildlife' started by stephenjames213, Apr 15, 2012.

1. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

So we went on a moorland walk and come across some stuff So guys do we know what this is,,,, 201_4822.jpg

2. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

ideally i'd like to see the underneath too and have an idea of size - are they flat or rounded?? it looks like a multizone polypore to me but depending on shape etc it could be something else ;)

3. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Horse shoe fungus ??? total guess from the rings in it

4. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

it was flat and about the size of a fag packet

5. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

Its a Banded Bracket fungus (Coriolus versicolor) i think.

6. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

Alien spacecraft I reckon, or it could be some sort of fungus:D

7. wildwoodsman

wildwoodsman Slightly Addicted

I have a friend who is a mycologist (fungi expert) and its a Turkey Tail Fungus latin name is Trametes Versicolor also known as Coriolus Versicolor, and Polyporus Versicolour. more information can be found here,
    Trametes versicolor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. Vault

Vault Very Talkative

Hi Stephen,
    I cant help you idenitfy those mate but I was out hunting lastnight amongest native bush and a pine forest, I found two possible toadstils growing, one appears to have be Eaten.jpg en eaten possibly by a possum but I thought I'd post them here seeing as members are identifying in this thread, it would be interesting to see if you guys have the same plant/toadstill in the UK, and whether any of you know if these have any use as either as food or medicine Red.jpg

9. HillBill

Not sure about the top one, but the bottom one looks very much like a fly agaric, AKA the magic mushroom. ;) Was it carrying a wand? :p

10. stephenjames213

that bottom one dont look very magic to me ;) maybe if it was a nipple shape and the same tone it would be very magic

11. Vault

Vault Very Talkative

No it's definately not magic, no wands present.Magics around here are generally the size of a thumbnail maybe slightly larger but this red one was big, the size of a tea cup saucer, It's the first time I've seen this one in the bush.I generally think of bright colours as a warning to not eat them, the other one which was larger and something had already been eating it could possibly be some kind of mushroom but I wouldnt eat it without knowing it wasnt poisonous.

12. HillBill

Fly Agarics can get rather large. :) The young mushrooms are small, but mature ones are much larger and flatter. :)

Fly agaric, amanita muscaria

13. wildwoodsman

Magic mushrooms look like this
    psilocybe-semilanceata-2.jpg
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Also known as Liberty Cap
    In your pictures is Fly Agaric and some kind of parasol mushroom, unsure as to which one without actually seeing it so Treat as inedilble for now will get My mate Fiona to have a look.
    [/FONT]

14. HillBill

I always thought fly agarics were the magic shrooms :) I've never munched any though, so if im wrong, then thats why.:)

Fiona? Xylaria?

15. stephenjames213

I can remember being 16 and like most 16 year olds being fooled in to eating Liberty Cap (dopy old me thinking they was just mushrooms) best time of my life mind as i was camping and was my first and last time thou,, this is a very good memory and story but i must say please dont go around picking and eating what you aint got a clue about as this could be your last meal:eek:

16. wildwoodsman

Yes Xylaria thats the girl :)

And Fly agaric is a trippy mushroom but it knackers your liver at the same time lol
    (or so my handbook tells me)

17. HillBill

I know Fiona and Mick. Spent a few weekends with them both at swift valley before the meets were stopped there. :)

She's definately the girl for mushrooms and wild food in general. :)

18. wildwoodsman

They still do meets they are 2 of my closest friends they now run woodstock outdoor crafts and its them and me that are running meets in the woods I posted about the other day.
    Mick and fiona's website is Woodstock Outdoors - Pull up a Log
    and the woods we now use is Home
    the website for the woods looks a bit hippy new age but once we have taken it over that will all change
    ATB
    Jono

19. HillBill

Yeah they have invited me down to the meets. Bit far to do regularly, but i do intend to get down there at some point. :)

Atb
    Mark

20. Vault

Vault Very Talkative

next time I see one of these I'll pick it and find a uni student to taste test it, then we'll know for sure if it's trippy or poisonous ;)