1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

solar still

Discussion in 'Survival Skills' started by Matt, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

dig a hole about 3 ft across and 18inche,s deep..............put a can or cup in the middle ove the hole ......then cover the hole with a plastic sheet (bin bag/survival bag) place stones around the edge of the sheet to help seal the edges against the ground ...then place a small stone in the center of the sheet to help make a low point in it above your cup/can ........................

what happens? .......

the plastic sheet works like a green house and raises the temperature of the air and ground bellow which in turn produces vapor. this then condenses on the under side of the plastic and then drips into your waiting cup...

the good thing is a still this size will produce a pint of clean drinkable water a day (in warm weather)

this kind of still can be used to make clean water out of contaminated water as well all you need to do is place the contaminated water in the pit in another container and the stuff that gathers in your clean cup will be safe to drink..............matt

2. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

they say you learn something new every day. ill remember this one matt, nice one

3. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Yes seen this done on TV a few times and it works a treat even in dry desert environments.

4. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

A good way of recycling wee as well:eek:

5. Cavatina

Cavatina Extremely Talkative

Can it make Whiskey ?????

6. Ian

Actually it could be adapted to do such a thing, you could use it as the condenser side of things. But that would be illegal in the UK;)

7. Cavatina

Cavatina Extremely Talkative

Well, we can't do anything illegal, can we?????????

8. Ian

Not while anyone is watching:eek:

9. m00thman

m00thman Extremely Talkative

I've seen this method on TV many times and, because it seems pretty simple, I think I'll give it a try someday (I will make some salty water in the first place). When I will do that, will take pictures and I will post them here.

:cool:

10. ReubenBushcraft

ReubenBushcraft Quite Addicted

It's best if you use a black plastic sheet (absorbs heat best.. But i was wondering if using a space blanket painted black on pne sude would be better because the black would absorb the heat, but the silver on the inside would bounce the heat around and make it warmer?

11. m00thman

m00thman Extremely Talkative

Hmm. Seems a good idea. Maybe it worth trying. As I said, I'll try the classical method as soon as I have the opportunity. Maybe someone who tried this can tell us more about it.