1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Stick/Staff

Discussion in 'Wildlife' started by HoboHubz, Jan 21, 2012.

1. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

Does anyone else use a "tracking" stick ?

here's mine it's made of Hazel,

DSCF1768.jpg DSCF1769.jpg DSCF1772.jpg

Antler thumb top with compass, it is measured from spike to size up imprints & gait & the Feather is for wind direction, Under the spike i have a firestrike & under the tape i have some snares & cycle inner tube :)

2. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Good job, with that V on the top it would also make a good shooting stick too.
    Going to collect a few lengths of hazel next time I am out as fancy making a few of these, The wife's grandfather used to make them and sell them for good money.

3. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

can someone explain how a tracking stick is used and how you track with it??

4. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

I coppiced a load of hazel the other day, might have to nick a bit back and season it indoors.
    Would this be cut the same height as a thumb stick? (Think it should be about shoulder height but can't quite remember:eek:)

5. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

Shady, first i'll start from the Thumb antler & work down Bud... the V i found comes in handy for holding prey to the ground or for lifting over hanging branches, the compass tells me what direction the prey is heading/been, the Feather tells me wind direction so i can stay downwind of prey, the measurements are to size the imprint left & length of stride, which in turn can tell you size of prey. the extras firestrike & snares are just personal handy bits to have, the stick is great for shifting brambles or poking under logs into holes, plus it's a great walking aid :D bit like a woodsmans swiss army tool :cool:

Ian mine is shoulder height Bud ;)

6. Cavatina

Cavatina Extremely Talkative

I like to carve animal heads on top of hazel sticks, make lovely walking sticks. Geoff.

7. Cavey

Cavey Very Talkative

Never heard of a 'tracking' stick before, seems a bit fussy to me if you're hunting? Handy for a beginner that's not out hunting though. Equipment should always be scattered about your person in case of accidental loss, then you won't lose it all.

The white feather blowing in the breeze would most likely scare any suitable prey with good eyesight away before you even see it.

Also, sharp points on anything carried is taboo unless they have protected points, what if you trip and spear yourself? Much pain and lots of grief that's what.

As for the wee cheap compass built into the stick, I prefer a Silva tied around my neck by a woolen string in case of strangulation - and with a decent map in a poly see through waterproof bag of the area I'm currently in.

If you want to use a forked stick for shooting it should be at least eye level, preferably a couple of inches taller. You don't need to use Hazel, Ash is just as good if not better, it's much lighter and usually straighter and is easier found as it grows quicker amongst mature Ash tree woodlands as seedlings.

8. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

Cavey, firstly i do have a rubber ferrule for the tip i left it off for pic purpose, If you look closely enough you'll see that that "cheap" compass is infact a quality "Silva" compass, as for feathers blowing in the wind & scareing everything off HMMMM extremely debatable i'm afraid.

As for the type of wood i use whats available to me !

As for loss of items i've lost things out my pocket but i've never lost my stick ;) this stick suits me personally i've never had a problem with it while shooting or otherwise but then pah i'm just a beginner even after 35yrs hunting :)

9. Woodland

Woodland Extremely Talkative

Very nice mate. Might chat a little further about this with you. I go out hunting with a very modern air gun, the idea of which is that I'm more likely to return home with some dinner. But I find the more traditional gear fascinating. It's as though you're carrying a bygone multi-tool. Great post mate.

10. Cavey

Cavey Very Talkative

I don't mean any offence Mr Hobo, I'm just stating my opinions on the way I like to do things. Which isn't lugging a stick about full of survival or hunting kit.

I loved a nice walking staff with a nice stag horn handle when hill walking, I still have one I made for my son about sixteen years ago, made of Hazel as it's very strong, but for stalking I preferred an Ash sapling with a natural 'V' for a handle or gun rest and if/when I was knackered I could quite happily throw it away without missing it and worrying if I couldn't find it again, know what I mean?

As for the blowing white feather scaring everything away, I never said that, but I know for a fact it would certainly spook Deer and some other creatures being stalked without a doubt.

May you and your trusty stick live happily ever after though, and I apologise if I inadvertently offended you, that was not my intention.

Pals? :p