1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

stoves or open fires???

Discussion in 'Stoves' started by Matt, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

what do you use ???? i prefer an open fire when i can get away with it .......but whats your preference guys?

2. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

this is a toughie.... hmmm but a good question, now i shall explain why i use both!!!

If i am camping in a tent and am allowed to use an open fire (such as at the meet in feb) i shall use the open fire and a camping stove. If i am in the wilderness without a tent i will use the open fire only.

The reason to use the open fire method is that its main duty is to provide warmth and security and also saves on gas or solid fuel to cook the food. The gas cooker will be used for frying foods as it won't use much gas and if used safely can be used to heat up my tent for a few minutes before getting some sleep. If i am out for an afternoon i will use a hexi stove to make a brew etc as it is lightweight and easily carried in a pocket.

If any questions just ask ;)

3. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

ine would also have to be an open-fire to mate ,,,, thats the life

4. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

Open fire every time mate, with a stove the fuel only lasts so long, in a forest etc................unlimited fuel, packed night and tightly for any survival situation................and FREE!.......

But I would say that as Im more into survival than luxury etc, I get luxury at home so bushy for me is about using what I cant have at home!!!!!!! back to basics!!!!!!

5. Woodland

Woodland Extremely Talkative

I'm a little bit both ways on this one. I like the fires but always make sure that I have a stove with me to be on the safe side. I also prefer to have a coffee before I do anything else in the morning, including re lighting last nights fire.
    I have a few stoves too, sort of one for every occasion depending on what I think the conditions and activities are going to be like.
    More on that later.

6. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

In other words you dont know which side you bat for??????.......................sorry mate couldnt resist!

7. Woodland

Woodland Extremely Talkative

Thought that might be coming.:rolleyes:

8. dengdeng

dengdeng First Post

I have a few stoves too, sort of one for every occasion depending on what I think the conditions

9. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

It all depends on the situation and circumstances that you are in. We were very lucky at the Feb winter bushy where we were allowed to cook over an open fire, but this may not always be the case, so we have to look at alternative solutions, one being the hobo stove which will be demonstrated at the summer bushy in August. There are numerous other options out there.

10. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

As is probably known by most of you, I'm in the process of building a couple of collapsible wood burning stoves so which side does that leave me on:confused:

Its a stove but it is also a fire. I'm not sure how effective they are but its gotta be worth a try.