1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

The 'Green Thing'

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by bigstancwsw, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bigstancwsw

bigstancwsw Snare & Trap expert

Thought you might appreciate this!

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman that she should bring her own shopping bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The cashier responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day. Back then, we returned milk bottles, pop bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.
    But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every shop and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.
    But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.
    But that young lady is right. We didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the county of Yorkshire . In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the post, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.
    But she's right. We didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank water from a fountain or a tap when we were thirsty instead of demanding a plastic bottle flown in from another country. We accepted that a lot of food was seasonal and didn’t expect that to be bucked by flying it thousands of air miles around the world. We actually cooked food that didn’t come out of a packet, tin or plastic wrap and we could even wash our own vegetables and chop our own salad.
    But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the tram or a bus, and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mothers into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.
    But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-ass young person.
    Remember: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to **** us off.

PS - Help the environment and don't print this email unless you really need to!

2. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

Very good point that!!!!

3. Woodland

Woodland Extremely Talkative

Brilliant.

4. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

Saw that a few days ago, excellent:)

5. SAVAGE HMR

SAVAGE HMR Slightly Talkative

I had a very similar conversation with my Mum today.
    I really don't like Britains adopted disposable culture.

6. Cavatina

Cavatina Extremely Talkative

What an excellent read, brilliant. Geoff. ( :hp-beer:. on me, but from the pump, not a can!!!!!!!)

7. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

thing is even i can remember those days.... i wore reusable nappies, the milkman took empties and the shop took bottles back too!! Since the 90's there has been a downward spiral of consumer recycling and instead the council feel they are being responsible by fining people for not recycling.... another way for "the man" to make money... how about this to solve the problem: The government imposes heavy penalties for shops that refuse to take empty glass bottles and return to wholsaler/supplier and fine those manufacturers that don't provide the option of returning bottles? and also getting rid of them nasty disposable nappies once and for all... the things that have been invented, nappies, computers, games consoles, tumble driers, washing machines and microwaves were invented for one reason.... to make life "easier" or in the way i like to phrase it "to make people lazy"... i remember doing a weekly shop with my dad and walking a mile or so to the shop and between us carrying between six and ten bags back with us, and he always re used them as in his opinion "saved faffing with those bags that are stuck together" it had nothing to do with recycling directly!!

I know i sound like an old man going on about "the good old days" but now i know what my grandfather meant when he used to moan about how easy we have got it... only now it is our age group that are moaning about how easy kids have it these days!! Children no longer do chores for pocket money, and take everything for granted.... yet we are being blamed for future generations?? nah i'm sorry but i will only accept responsibility to an extent, my blame lies with the government for a lot of things but most of my blame lies with the rich people who invented these gizmos to make life harder by making it "easier" to be lazy!!

8. Cavey

Cavey Very Talkative

Well said Shady, I bet you've got tattoos on your crinkly wrinkly's. :cool:

Mind you, I think it's quite disturbing if you can remember wearing terry nappies! That's not healthy for a 12 year old. :p :D

9. Cavey

Cavey Very Talkative

Nice one Bigstan. :cool:

10. Steelyglint

Steelyglint Quite Talkative

Shady,

Whilst I agree to an extent isn't it a little ironic that you're berating computers for making us lazy....on an internet forum?:p

11. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

hmm you are right there mate... however... the internet has taken over societies and created "online communities".... where like minded people discuss different topics and interests (like us) which has to be a good thing to an extent, however we made our face to face friends when we were younger (and in truth i no longer have them but this is another story). Now these kids are knowing nothing of face to face meetings, how to conduct themselves properly when they meet somebody new etc.... the digital age has evolved since the 1980's into something most people now take for granted, even mobile phones have more and more gadgets programmed into them... evidence of this has spawned since facebook, and it is here you will find evidence for my case... look for a friend who has an internet connection and one of these "Android" phones... it seems the facebook addicts are glued to their mobile devices, updating on every aspect of their lives... the last one i read was "In the bath surrounded by candles" to which someone replied "I hope you drop you phone!!".... is this the extent of what we have to look forward to?? The older generation (50+) had to make do with limited resources, and that was the only point i was trying to make.... nosey neighbours have now gone online to find out the latest gossip on who is where and when.... no more privacy = no more life as it is the private things that we don't want others to know about that makes us who we are.......

12. Steelyglint

Steelyglint Quite Talkative

My reply was tongue in cheek hence the stick out tongue smiley, however more seriously I have a 12 yo lad and a 9 yo daughter, they both have plenty of friends in the real world & good social skills I think the problems occur when the internet becomes their only life in which case it's a parents responsibility to restrict access, kids are still kids.

That said in our media hyped age I think we are over protective and tend to restrict their out time too much for fear of pervs and child snatcher, when in reality the risk is no worse than it was when you or I were kids, they were there we just learned to avoid them and when something happened it wasn't so readily spread by the media.