1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

The Key to Keeping warm

Discussion in 'Survival Skills' started by Shady, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

The Key to Keeping WARM is C.O.L.D.... think i'm crazy?? read on mc Duff....

Keep it Clean - dirt and grease block air spaces
    Avoid Overheating - Ventilate!!
    Wear it Loose - Allow Air to circulate
    Keep it Dry - Outside and inside!!

hope you find this useful ;)

2. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

cool:D.......mate i thought you were going to say dont go out side;):D

wise words thou shady:)

3. Bruce

Bruce Slightly Talkative

I was out Saturday night,It didn't freeze but it nearly did,I was as warm as toast but I had thermals on fully cothed hat and scarf but was a lovely clear night and woke up to a Robin on my bivvy bag:)

4. udamiano

udamiano Slightly Talkative

People tend to pile on clothes when the temperature falls, however some careful consideration can reduce the amount of clothes needed in the colder parts of the year.

Wool retains its ability to insulate even when its wet, however the weight of wool tend to put people off.
    When layering clothes made sure you have room between the layers to let trapped air circulate and warm.
    Tight clothes mean the insulation is compressed, which often as not totally negates its effectiveness.
    when you warm reduce the amount of clothes and layers you were, and when cold add them. Keeping layers on causes the body to sweat, in turn this sweat cools the body (its job), as it evaporates from the surface of your skin, this also makes the clothes you're wearing damp, which effects its ability to keep you warm. Basically if you're sweating your body it too warm, and you'll feel colder when you stop.

Plan your day, and watch the weather, just because it says fair weather doesn't mean it can't rain. always carry some sort of alternative protection against the elements. when a surface is wet, combined with a flow of air it cools, keep yourself dry, and warm.

5. bigstancwsw

bigstancwsw Snare & Trap expert

If i get really cold at night, i nag Matt to get out of his bed and start the genny so i can put my electric fire on in my caravan.

6. fullbandit

fullbandit Very Talkative

a tip i learned from all the time i spent on exercise :rolleyes:

If you have slept in your clothes first thing you do when you get up is strip them all off to your base layer then put them back on again.

this will refill the layers of air between them which will soon warm up and you'll will be taking layers off.

I also did this whilst i was mountaineering in Alaska (had a cold snap one night to -40C :eek:)

7. woodstock

woodstock Quite Addicted

Another useful tip before getting in your bag do some press ups not to the point where your sweating but just get your body up then get into your bag it will retain the heat that you have generated