1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Tinder

Discussion in 'Bushcraft It Yourself' started by HoboHubz, Jan 28, 2012.

1. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

made some char-cloth today,

used 100% cotton towel placed in tin with small hole punctured in lid, placed on fire left till it s:Dtopped smoking then took off fire & plugged hole left too cool then hey presto :eek:
    DSCF1878.jpg DSCF1881.jpg

I'm now having a go at Amadou with Horse's hoof fungi, as it's a right pain getting to the tremur layer i'm trying out boiling it see if that makes it easier, i'll let you know if it works :D
    DSCF1882.jpg

2. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Interesting not heard of the towel trick, I take it that will be simple to light when needed.

3. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

Yeah charcloth will take a spark from anything and glows HOT with a little blow. I make it quite often for my tinderkit. Its the best stuff to use with a flint and steel due to the readiness with which it will take a spark.

Any 100% cotton material works. Really easy to make, just as the op says. :)

4. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

simple yet effective.... isn't this what bushcraft is all about??? I like very much!!

5. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

Well boiling the Horse's hoof fungi for approx 5 hrs did'nt work, there has to be an easier way to get to the tremur layer !

6. HillBill

7. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Just watched a video on YouTube where guy used cotton balls and Vaseline to make tinder.

Seems a good easy way to get some decent tinder.

8. HillBill

Yeah, cotton wool and vaseline works really well. Its not exactly bushcrafty but it is convenient and quick. :)

9. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

when out in the field the easiest tinder to collect is sheep's wool when its left snagged on barbed wire fences/bushes ....

the sheep's wool has a form of water proofing oil on it so when its dry it catch,s fire real easy .....if its wet when collected store it under the collar of your shirt as your walking around and your body heat will dry it out so you can then use it to start your fire ..

10. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Quite Talkative

I tried this Matt but it's hoof's kept digging me in the kneck!!!
    On a more serious note great tip ;)

11. Matt

pmsl@ct

12. 38thfoot

38thfoot Slightly Addicted Site Donor

hasve you tried the fluff from a tumble drier?

13. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

Yes m8 the stuff that catches on the filter, its ideal for tinder

14. bigzitt

bigzitt Slightly Addicted

is that the stuff that looks like belly button fluff....and would belly button fluff work as tinder?

:D;)

15. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

Belly button fluff will catch on fire.......only problem is there is not a lot of it!!!......idea is that you keep taking it out of your belly button and store it, and it will keep topping itself up!!!!!!

I think the oils on sheeps wool is called lanolin, and if you want to remove it I seem to remember that urine is good to remove the lanolin!!!!

16. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

Think Belly button fluff has lanolin on it :) do what ya will bigzitt ;)

17. John Fenna

John Fenna Very Talkative Site Donor

After making an Iron Age outfit (for doing Bushcraft demos at Castell Henllys Iron Age fort - if you are in West Wales look it out as it is well worth a visit) I was left with a lot of pure Linen off cuts and found this - a genuine Iron Age staple - makes a realy good charcloth, in my opinion much better than cotton.
    If you are going for cotton char cloth the best I have used is Tesco 100% cotton teatowels (burn Tesco BURN!). New towling or cotton fabric is better than used as it would apear that some washing powder residue is fire retardant!
    A fair natural char can be made from rosebay willow herb fluff. Wet it and get it matted down then dry and char it like cotton in a tin.... pretty fool proof in use!
    Cardboard egg carton material soaked in candle wax is excellent with one of those cheaty firesteel thingies but struggles to flare to flame with flint and steel.
    A little home made gunpowder can (so I have been told) be an excellent tinder sparking up to flame from the tinyest of sparks....

18. weazel

weazel Quite Talkative

always found dried thistle heads work well

19. Matt

bag up the fluff from the tumble dryer filter (excellent tinder:))

20. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

After getting a firesteel for Christmas I've been using the fluff from the tumble dryer. I use it to light my fags when I go down to the garage for a smoke and I used it to light my Kelly kettle the other day.
    It doesn't burn for long but as long as you're ready for it, it will do the job.