1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

What kit do I Need?

Discussion in 'Kit Chat' started by sapper, Apr 9, 2012.

1. sapper

sapper Quite Talkative

More of a rhetorical question really.
    When I started out (all those years ago) I had to have every bit of kit and gadget that was available,my pack weighed in at about 90-100 lbs and I was still uncomfortable some times.It's taken me over 30 years to get my kit to the stage it is now.
    Not including food and water my winter kit weighs in at about 7 kilos.
    In this I have a four season sleeping bag and a 1 kilo sleeping mat.I am never cold or uncomfortable anymore.
    How Can I do this?Is it by buying the best and most expensive stuff?NOPE
    Is it by using stuff other people have brought?NOPE
    I've done it by not taking anything I don't need.
    I have a small head light that lights up an area of about 5 square yards,I can't see the need for anything brighter or heavier.
    I have a small torch that will light up things about 10 yards away,if I need to see further ,I'll take a stroll over and look.I don't see the need for a 1gazillion candlepower torch to light up things that are too far away to see in daylight.And they're heavy,and bulky.
    You get the idea ,yes?

Is my kit expensive ?

Yes ,some of it is really expensive but will never let me down or need replacing.

Do I have cheap kit? OH YES!!

Most of my clothes come from Mountain warehouse,same place as my dossbag.

What I don't take with me is what saves weight and allows me to spend a bit extra on other kit.

Think of a bit of kit you have/would like to have/need or think you need and I'll see if I can help you do without it or show you why you need an expensive one or a cheap one.
    I hope I don't come across as a smart arse,I'm just trying to pass on what I have learnt over the years and where I've wasted a lot of money.

2. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

What I do is make lists - I make a list of everything I think I'll need to take then whittle is down until I reach a list of what I need to take (never forsake safe items like first aid kits though - these you need to take in the hope of never needing them!)

3. sapper

sapper Quite Talkative

You have to carry a first aid kit,if you don't you're guaranteed to need it.:)

4. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

That is what I am working on at the moment. at the moment I can get all my kit into a 120L bergen with room to spare for a standard sleeping bag and a hammock (once I buy them) The sleeping bag I have at the moment is the Czech army one which is big and bulky so not able to get it in the bergen but once I buy a normal sleeping bag it will fit.
    At the moment my kit weighs in at just over 12kg without sleeping bag. but that also inc my army mosquito tent which is only for summer use, but I am thinking of changing that for a hammock with netting so should drop the weight down even more.

This is what I have at the moment
    I know some of it is not really needed but I like to have it.

Army mosquito tent
    3m x 3m DD Tarp
    8 x 4 ground sheet
    Army poncho
    set 3 ally mess tins
    SS army cup & water bottle
    Army Machete
    Mora Knife
    Folding saw
    Para cord and a few bungees
    small gas stove & bottle.
    small towel
    Army roll mat
    self inflating pillow
    first aid kit
    Spork
    small garden trowel
    bivvy slippers
    cap & woolie hat
    sleeping bag
    change of clothes
    toilet roll
    fire starting kit
    head lamp.

Think thats it and maybe a big jacket or of course food :)
    looking at swapping my sleeping bag for a colman hudson bag and army tent for a hammock.

5. sapper

sapper Quite Talkative

A little constructive criticism.
    Why do you need 3 mess tins and a steel cup?
    Are you going to be feeding others?If so tell them to bring their own pots.

Army poncho ?For what?
    Your tarp will do all that a poncho does and do it lighter ,better and for less bulk.

Self inflating pillow.
    I use the stuff sack off my sleeping bag with my jacket inside.

Cap and woolie hat

Do you have 2 heads?

I'm not taking the mickey here just saying what I think.

6. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

good thread mate, needing some advice. i have some kit, still got some more to get until im comfortable. preferably id like to carry an axe, folding saw and knife while im out (havent brought the axe or saw yet). would you say this is over kill?

also im looking at rucksacks. i want 2. i want one for a weekener, roughly 45 litre. and one for longer trips where i need extra room for food and clothes.. roughly 100 litre. im willing to spend a fair amount of cash on these items, as i want them to be comfortable when im covering long distances. these are the 2 ive been looking at...

Forces 44 Military Daysack - OG or DPM weekend rucksack.

Olive Green 100 Ltr Bergan for longer trips

what do you think? should i be looking at any others?

i know everyone rates karrimor, but for some reason, im just not drawn to them, or their price tags lol

7. sapper

sapper Quite Talkative

Do you really need a military style one?
    I use an Osprey kestrel 38 litre for week long trips.
    I find civvi rucksacks are much better than the usual bushcraft types as they are specifically designed to carry kit over distance and are more adjustable and comfortable than something that is designed for military use.
    All militery rucksacks are designed to be worn over webbing,the webbing is what supprts the weight of the bergan,if you aren't goung to wear webbing as well as the bergan you are going to hurt.
    Civvi bags are designed to be worn without webbing so are a better design for long distance work.

Have a look at :

Osprey
    Lowe alpine
    Berghaus
    golite

These are very technical packs designed to last and be comfortable,if you can try them on in the shop with a good weight in them.If the shop won't let you do this ,shop somewhere else.

8. Gazo

your right on the mess tins only ever use 1 mess tin and my cup so I guess 2 could go but kept them together as they are a set that fit inside each other so take up no more room than just the largest one which is the one I use.

The poncho has been used to cover my gear but also to wear is it rains.

Self inflating pillow was bought for 2 reasons 1 to sit on a log get hard after a while and as a pillow.
    Good point on the stuff sack and jacket ;) but at the moment my sleeping bag does not have a separate stuff sack.

Cap for day use and hat for night if it gets chilly I can cover my ears :) but I don't wear the cap in the days much anyway so maybe that could be taken out.

To be totally honest weight is not the issue at the moment, I am a big guy and can handle it ok. Would not like to walk miles with it mind but a mile or so I would be ok with it.
    At the moment my problem is space, I need to down size a few things like my sleeping bag.

9. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

this is all good stuff guys ...:)

10. sapper

sapper Quite Talkative

Have a look at down sleeping bags,they are more expensive than synthetics but for the same weight they are much warmer and pack a lot smaller.I use a "mountain warehouse everest down bag" they cost about £90 but are excellent value.

11. Gazo

I am on the look out for a better one my problem is I had being restricted when sleeping and can't sleep in a mummy or normal type sleeping bag.
    The one I have now I have it unzipped half way down. so looking for an extra wide one the one I have now is 80cm wide but looking at some which are 90cm or even 100cm wide. not easy fitting into a normal sleeping bag when you have a 54" chest ..see told you I was a big guy :)

12. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

no not specifically looking for a military type. quite the opposite actually as i'd heard about the issues with the packs without wearing webbing before. but i hate the bright colors most of the civi bags have. i like neutral colors personally. thanks for the brands i'll check them out mate

13. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

i wear full webbing with all the pouches that carry water and cup, first aid ,fire lighting kit,food and brew kit,all my tools i need , one for hat and gloves , was kit and toilet kit, para cord, then i have a issued sack 100ltr that holds camp bed ,roll mat, basha , bed roll, my shooting gear and some clothes, axe, i am not moving on to a hammock so will lose a lot of weight i am only 5ft6 and happy enough to carry this and walk all day with it on with no problems

14. sapper

sapper Quite Talkative

Have you thought about a quilt?
    Any sleeping bag will compress the insulation on the bottom as you lie on it.This makes it just extra weight to carry.As long as you have a good kip mat you'll still be warm.Very often if I get too warm I just open out the sleeping bag and lie under it rather than in it.

15. Gazo

I have thought about a quilt but not seen one that will compact enough to go into a stuff sack unless you buy a cheap one but then I guess it won't be much use if the temperature drops over night.