1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

what sort of roll mat and why?

Discussion in 'Kit Chat' started by stephenjames213, Jan 10, 2012.

1. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

ok guys mines a toss up with the; z force folding sleeping mat, 1.because it's waterproof and very good for just you your sleeping bag and the night sky, 2. if it good for our boys it's good for us
    z force.jpg
    .....or the Pacific outdoor ether thermo 6 long sleeping mat, 1.it's very compthy and is nice and easy on your back , 2. it folds up very small in to a stuff sack...
    pacific.jpg

let me know what yours is and why?

2. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

in an ideal world id have a therma rest .................i haven't got one yet :eek:....best get my skates on as the next meet is three weeks away.....................matt

3. kwakamonkey

kwakamonkey Quite Talkative

i had a copy therma rest . it had a blow up pillow on the end but i never blew it up . i think it was tiso in edinburgh i got it .
    i think i paid around £25 or so for it

if i was using my berghaus crusader i used to roll the mat up then put it in the bergan and let it unfurl then pack the bergan . it took up room but it was not ontop of the bergan and getting caught in branches and so on

4. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

i got one of them foil coated things... cost next to nothing from a certain bay ;)

5. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

I just use an unbranded roll mat, it does the job. It also gets used for laying on when i'm zero'ing my rifles or just having a target session.

6. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

I got 2 Thermarests from when i was a "ground-dweller", now i swing from the trees or use my tentipi, so i use in the tipi a really nice comfy "Aerobed" if i'm in Hammock i either use one of them picnic blankets for cars or a poncho liner as an underblanket.

7. crazyrabbit

crazyrabbit Slightly Talkative

I tried a Thermarest copy for some time and chose a 3/4 length one for it's compact size when deflated. I would recommend getting a full length one though as I found my lower legs were unconfortable still being on the ground. In the end, the weld between the air pockets gave up and it became one large inflatable mat which was unusable. I have reverted to a simple roll mat, which whilst larger is a lot more versatile, cheaper and foolproof.

8. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

to tell you guys the truth i forgot to get a top notch roll mat before the event and i ended up getting a cheepy think it was £7 from my local camping shop .....it did the job very nicely so i wont bother getting anything else for the time being

9. Bucephalas

Bucephalas Very Talkative

I use a Gelert inflatable Mat. Even if I could afford it I would spend that sort of dosh on Thermarest I wouldn't buy one. (Nobody who has shelled out would ever tell you they feel a right muppet because it's no better than a £18 inflatable roll mat and they would always maintain that you get what you pay for.)
    No shortage of kit monkeys are there?

10. Ian

Ian Site Manager Staff Member

Personally I would never again use anything inflatable to sleep on.
    They don't hold any heat and usually make you colder (in my experience).
    They pretty much always end up deflating either in the middle of the night or before you get into them on the second night.
    They are just plain uncomfortable!

So, what are my options now?

11. HillBill

Yeah inflatables aren't suitable for bushy stuff IMO, if they burst your screwed. Just a standard thick roll mat, will keep you warm, is waterproof/bombproof. You can lay on them in front of the fire without fear of popping them on a thorn etc i use them to lay on for zeroing my rifles etc. Can't beat them, and at less than a tenner your not going to lament damaging/tearing them, plus they will still work just as well if you do.

12. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

I just bought a 5 SEASON OLIVE NATO SLEEPING MAT 1cm thick :) should do the job nicely.

13. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

German army folding mat for me - sits inside the sack for carriage - is a good length but can be doubled up etc for extra thickness for colder weather conditions

14. Gangsta ov love

Gangsta ov love Very Talkative

I use my gun bag it was first supposed to double up as a shooting matt but is ideal for the job as its thick foam

15. HillBill

Is that one of the big daft Logun ones?

16. Bucephalas

Bucephalas Very Talkative

My Gelert roll mat is not bad. It doesn't deflate in the night and I'm looking for a thicker foam roll mat to put under it and this should help against punctures etc.
    I have leg/knee issues and don't want this to cut my camping life short which is why I would prefer to Hammock if possible.
    I may look for a more expensive airbed and give that a try too.

17. Gangsta ov love

Gangsta ov love Very Talkative

No it's a BSA tactical bag

18. Kernowek Scouser

Kernowek Scouser Quite Addicted Site Donor

I got a gelert ultralite last year and have no complaints. A very comfortable, portable mat.

It also fits into my new czech army sleep roll, when rolled up, which is grand.

19. Vault

Vault Very Talkative

I just bought a 3/4 Thermarest for my 6 year old son, he's about to come camping for the first time and I didnt want him having any reason to not love the experience, I'd buy one for myself to but it's cheaper to buy a double height inflatable queen size air bed, so I did lol. mind you we're in the big family tent for now but when we go out in the smaller tent I'll definately go for the solid roll up mat as often I find myself sleeping at the bottom of a tree accross tree roots, pig fern and it's not to comfy, but the mat is just to get me off the icy ground as that's a killer on the kidneys, I ain't as young and dumb as I was.
    Back in the days I used to gather as much Kanuka, Manuka, tee tree brush, foliage as i could and stack it till it was 3 feet high then jump on top and that was bed, gave enough insulation to stop the cold from taking over, didnt even have a sleeping bag, nowadays I like a bit of warmth, nothing wrong with a good mat, sleeping bag and bivvy

20. John Fenna

John Fenna Very Talkative Site Donor

Exped 9cm Delux down filled airbed.
    Warm as toast
    Comfy as a feather bed
    Light
    Packs small
    Fits in my hammock, stretcher beds os on the ground.
    Pure luxury!