1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

What!

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by Gazo, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

Does anyone else have the cheap shop call WHAT in there town ??

We have 2 near us and they are big stores rammed with bankrupt stock.
    They have a camping section with some good bits.

5 in one safety whistle / compass / mirror / fire steel / water proof storage section for £1
    Solar Shower (large black blader type bag with pipe and shower head) £2.99
    Flat type aluminium water canteens with cover and strap £4
    Boys Toys flat SS credit card size multi tool £1.49 (good quality)

I bought a mini camo rucksack style bag to put my fire kit in which was better than the box I had
    For 50p can't moan :)

20120408_115030.jpg

2. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

not in plymouth we dont looks like a good shop mate

3. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

One day you boys will realise that cheap kit is just that....cheap. :) You dont need all the bits n bats, just a few quality tools and bits of kit and there is nothing you cant make or do. Bushcraft is about using natural resources not cheap shops :)

How many of you lot, can light a fire without lighter, matches, or a firesteel? How many wild foods can you identify? how much can you make from what you find in the woods? How many different trees can u identify and more to the point, how may uses do you know for any tree you can ID?

Not having a pop at any of you, far from it. :) But i never see any bushcraft on here, i see campers. If you want to attract more shrafters then i reckon bushcraft has to appear on the forum :)

Forget the kit, learn the skills. You would be far far better off buying any of the bushcraft books about than spending the money in a cheap shop on cheap kit you will either never use of use once. :)

Just some friendly advice guys, theres a good bunch of blokes on here. If i wasn't so busy with knifemaking and the other 6 forums i frequent i would happily put up many posts with info you NEED. If you werent so far away i'd be down to see you all at one of your meets. :)

4. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

Many of us do have skills many of us don't , some people are starting out and dont no what to use and not to use,, every one has to start some where and learn ,, we are not all lucky to be born with bushcraft forced upon us or or day wake up and know it all:)

5. Gazo

Know what your saying Mark but the info is useful to someone just starting out who does not have any kit, and can't afford to buy all the top kit.
    The fire lighting, Tree id and the other things you mentioned are all the things we are learning as we go along.
    In the past few months I have learned loads and will continue to learn as I go along.
    I don't see the harm in buying cheap bits if they are going to help you out and make life that little bit easier while in the bush.
    Guess I am a modern day bushcrafter I just love being out there but why struggle to survive while you are out there.
    Think that is why we all do it, as we love the great outdoors.
    Always willing to learn new things but being new to it things will take time.

At the moment I am still working on my kit, I am trying to compact everything down.

But this is what I was hoping that you guys who have been into it for years will give us new comers the info we require.

6. sapper

sapper Quite Talkative

Good attitude.
    I have many bushy skills( but not all of them) and I still like to do things the easy way,I can light a fire using many different items and many different ways.If I stop for a brew I get my gas stove out,it's the quickest ,easiest and most efficient way to get a quick brew.I even do this whilst practicing traditional fire making.

7. sapper

sapper Quite Talkative

I do tend to agree with HillBill though.
    Cheap kit is just that ,cheap kit.Everybody knows that no matter what you buy ,the more you pay the better it is,generally.

8. Gazo

I have bought a few cheap items recently mainly to see if it's what I want and it suits me, for instance I bought a plastic Spork the other day £1.49 just to see if I get on with it and if I do I will buy a titanium one or maybe try and make one.
    Did not see the sense in spending 10 or 12 quid on a titanium one to find I can't get on with using a spork.
    Done the same with cheap £3 head light. find they come in really handy in camp at night so now going to buy a decent one and pass the other one onto my lad :)

I admit most cheap items are crap but there are a few good items worth having in your kit.

9. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

i thought this was about bargain bits of kit???......to answer a few of your questions ..there are a few members on this forum who were out shrafting whilst you were still in nappys.....;) me for one:D.....

now I'm quite willing to try and advise guys on bits of kit they do need and bits they dont.....but to be honest the best way to find out what you need is to spend time out in the woodland:)....

10. Gazo

So true each time I go out I find something I could have done without or something I could have done with ;)
    I will get the right kit together one day :) but the main thing is I am getting out there.

11. Leif

Leif Extremely Talkative

Interesting how this thread has twisted - my tuppence worth is the thread is about a shop called "WHAT" AND no we dont have one here ........

Then theres Hillbills post - which at first struck me as a bit arrogant (although i MAY HAVE MIS-INTERPRETTED IT - if you have knowledge bill share it, thats what a forum is for and if experienced people share then this forum will grow) I understand what your saying and agree that bushcraft especially these days shouldnt be about kit too many other forums are the homes of kit dependant shrafters and not skilled folks ........... I for one can do all the things you say - and will slowly share what I can but I am also mindful that this is a new forum and the knowledge and discussions will grow with the forum.

Most new bushcrafters (like this forum) start by thinking that kit is the answer and slowly learn the skills - its up to experienced people to trickle feed the info so the less experienced learn slowly - a torrent of info will be lost and wasted - experience has taught me that its better to answer a question when it arises than to other information thats not needed or relevant to members at a set time.

Bill your busy on 6 other forums or some such - good for you - its amazing you find time to do any bushcraft at all! I am sure your a member of Bc UK too and this forum now its established has a good spread of threads but I was involved with this when it started - indeed I helped train Tony and Stuart and others and when we founded that forum for years the threads were the same over and over again "How do i put up a basha?" or "what kit do I need to buy to do bushcraft?" its a natural progression ..............that said I also like the way this forum is as its fresh and non judgementel one problem with some bigger forums is the "toe the party line or your out" attitude - but I digress

Anyway my tuppence worth

12. Matt

couldnt have put it better myself mate ....

13. Rob

Rob Very Addicted

For WHAT its worth heres my £1.00 worth

Everyone would like to go out and buy the top of the range most expensive bits of kit, but expensive bits of kit doesnt make the man. In the real world that isn't possible due to other important commitments, I'm sure I read on here somewhere "do what you can with what you got." Personally I'm all for testing and using cheap kit, you know when you buy it that it isn't going to last as long but if it does what it says on the tin, which under the trade discriptions act it has to, and carries a guarantee then give it a go.

Take for example a knife, one priced at £140.00 and the other at £10.00, the £140.00 may look nice and have a good bit of steel and hold its edge but at the end of the day it does the same job as the ugly one for £10.00 that you have to sharpen a bit more often.

14. Matt

forgot to answer the question mate :eek: (sorry gazo) ...no i dont think we have a what shop local to us ...we have a few other bankrupt stock places thou mite be worth a look:)

15. HillBill

Sorry i wasn't suggesting you guys didn't have skills, i was trying to establish what skills are about on the forum and suggesting that those skills should be posted up for folk to see and learn from. A lot of the talk is about kit, and any newcomers who visit the site looking for bushcraft will see that and maybe get the impression that bushcraft is all about kit and either be put off or be drawn in to the this kit that kit side of it. :)

16. Matt

apology accepted mate ....the thing is we are a new site and all the guys are getting new bits of kit and trying them out and letting us know how they get on with it .
    some of us have already been threw the new kit faze and have an established kit pack we take with us but we have to give the new guys a chance to sort there own kit pack,s out with out to much input from us as in my eyes its them thats got to use it .
    they will soon realize what they need to spend money on and what they don't need ....its a huge learning curve that most people new to bushy has to go threw before they settle on a preferred kit setup ..

thats why we have the camp fire section so we can all natter like we were around a camp fire ....matt

17. HillBill

Yeah i see where your coming from mate. :) You never stop learning. The bad thing about kit though is that kit tends to replace learning and knowledge. Its kind of a barrier blocking a man from nature imo. Sure i have kit, and yes i've gone through periods of buying daft stuff cos it looked good at the time and i thought i might need it :). Thing is though, you take things and then never use them. I suppose i was just trying to pass that across and save you guys the money and disappointment many have suffered :). My kit now fits in medium rucksack and thats the winter kit. Summer kit fits into a 35L :)

Bushcraft isn't about sleeping out in the woods, its about having the knowledge to live and act in harmony with nature. To co-operate with her for the benefit of all. :)

I use a lighter to light my fires, i smoke so its the quickest and easiest way. But i can use a bow drill and do occasionally when im in no rush. :) I'm far from perfect, my forte in the bushcraft world i suppose is as a maker of quality tools, but when i joined BCUK in 2008 ( first bushcraft forum i ever joined) i had never made a knife in my life. Now my main interest in bushcraft is the interconnectivity of life, the limitless number of tiny connections that make nature the entity that it is. I'm a little different from the norm i expect. :)

I'll make the time to put some posts up about the things i do :)

18. HillBill

Fair enough mate. :)

Perhaps we, who have the kit that we have found works for us, should put reviews up and guidelines about what we should be aiming at kit wise? It may stop folk spending hard earned and not freely available money on kit thats just not upto standard. :)

19. Matt

thats a very good idea mate ....

20. HillBill

Apologies if it came across that way Leif, that wasn't my intention. :)

Yeah im busy on 6 other forums, but its mainly through knifemaking and more necessity than anything. Until i get a website then i must sell through forums or other online sources once i do get a site set up and can sit back and ejoy the forums a lot more as much of my time wont be taken up answering PMs about knives ( not that i mind, but thats work). I do get out, though not as much as i would like to. I was near Colwyn bay in wales out shrafting for the weekend when i posted that. I've only just got back this aft. Away again on the 20th at another meet in coventry, so i do get about. :)