1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Whats your choice of knife and why?

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Tools' started by stephenjames213, Jan 10, 2012.

1. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

My choice and why?

The Mora

Morakniv (Mora knife) It's a very notable knife and highly recommended buy (my self) ,Ray Mears,Cody lundin
    and Mors Kochanski. The mora is a very popular belt-knife and manufactured by Cutleries in the town of mora which is placed in Dalarna of sweden. In sweden these knives are used for every-day knives and in skandinavia also .The knife is a particular favorite with all in the Bushcraft comunity on the basis of a low price-tag, has a versatility of uses, and has a very robust construction. 90% of mora knives are very similar to the finnish knives(Puukkos.)
    you can trace a mora knife back to the medieval times when real swords and knives where made by swordsmiths.
    The mora is made up of two kinds of steel, tradition has always been Crucible steel of a very tough and the best quality,the rest of the blade is made up from a softer steel. Which intern holds a very sharp edgr for a long time and can even cut soft metals like ,soft steel and wrought iron.....

my mora with a little mod
    109_4547.jpg

2. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

i use the mora... but i have just done a quick kit check and found it has walked off somewhere and cannot be found, so now i have to order another in the hope it arrives before the end of the month!! :mad:

3. SAVAGE HMR

SAVAGE HMR Slightly Talkative

I use Opinel knives, I do a lot of hunting and shooting.
    Perfect little folder that hols a good edge, UK legal carry too!

4. kwakamonkey

kwakamonkey Quite Talkative

always used a swiss army or my mauser swiss army type knife . i know have a mora and one of these http://www.heinnie.com/uploads/images_products_large/4204.jpg an eka swede 90 that i got in a kit when i worked at silva uk . it came with a small compass that folded up . not got the compass now but still have the knife. i take it shooting too .

i used to take a us issue m9 bayonet shooting too lol. used it for chopping tree branches to build a hide . i ended up getting a folding saw as the m9 was a bit big and heavy to carry

5. HillBill

HillBill Very Addicted Site Donor

They are legal yes, but not as every day carry due to them locking. If you have a good reason to have it, ie out shooting at the time, your ok. :)

I carry a No8 when im out and about. Great knives and unbeatable for the price.

My main user is a Mora atm, every time i make myself a knife, someone makes me an offer on it and i always sell them, thinking i can make another later. :D

6. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

how much is a opinel?? i imagine they are more expensive than the Moras?

7. HillBill

Between £5 and £10 for the standard range. ;)

8. SAVAGE HMR

SAVAGE HMR Slightly Talkative

Hi again mate, the one I carry doesn't lock.
    I think the two smallest knives that Opinel make don't have the locking ring.
    I carry the second smallest one, I think the blade is about two or 3 inches.

9. HillBill

Ah, fair enough. Carry away :)