1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

Wild camping legality

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Chat' started by elliott92, Jan 11, 2012.

1. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

i was researching not long ago weather i could camp on my local common. turns out im not allowed. Anyway this made me look a bit further into the laws surrounding where you can, or more importantly cannot wild camp. all the evidence i could gather pretty much concluded that you can only camp on designated campsites. IE. you cant just go down to the woods, throw your hammock up, light the fire and relax. i just wondered weather this is a load of crap ive stumbled upon or if this is infact the truth? Either way im still going to go camping in my local woods, i cant see there actually being a problem if your responsible with the fire etc. just curious about what the actual laws are on this?

2. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

if the land is open to the public then you are usually not aloud to camp , some land you can camp but no fires!!!

these rules change as to which part of the country you are in , the land we hold the meets on is all privately owned and we have the owners permission to camp/light fires /built shelters and that kind of stuff

camping on public access land needs to be checked out in your area so you can find out the rules on fires ... Matt

3. Cavatina

Cavatina Extremely Talkative

I think you'll find camping falls under local rules and by-laws, so what is good in one borough, could in fact be illegal in the next door borough. The problem in Briton is that our local by-laws are so out of date, that simply walking over a common you could be breaking some ancient law without even knowing it. Geoff. :hp-beer:. another pile of useless information!!!!!!!

4. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

cheers for the advice guys. i thought it was the case. ive camped in my local woods for ages and no-ones ever said anything. but i guess im not technically aloud. and that's great that you've got a permission for all that stuff ex terminator you lucky git!! all my hunting perms aren't really suitable for bushcraft which is a shame

5. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

you will find also that wild camping is only allowed in SCOTTYLAND!!! so get yer kilt and sporran on and trek to the highlands!! Strange how it doesn't let all people of the UK to camp wherever they want, but wild fires are in general a big no-no with aurthorities

6. Gazo

Gazo Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

As kids we always used to camp on common ground and the kids still do it today and I have never known of any problems.
    I would guess it would be how you do things, if you go there chopping down trees leaving rubbish and beer cans everywhere you will get problems. but if you respect the land and leave it as you found it I would say you won't have a problem.

7. herzog

herzog Quite Talkative

yeah i agree with this. i think as long as you arent making a mess or disturbing anything, a general don't ask don't tell attitude is fine for wild camping. it's not like we would be going having huge parties and burning plastic and leaving bottles everywhere

8. bigstancwsw

bigstancwsw Snare & Trap expert

If you dont let anyone catch you, it should be fine. Most people never stray far from footpaths, so as long as you cant easily be seen you should get away with it. Always adopt the Leave No Trace way of wild camping and remember NO WEAPONS it then becomes armed trespass, which you really dont want to get into.

9. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

we used to use a school playing field when we were teenagers that had a little wooded area at the bottom, the caretaker caught us one morning and gave us an ear bashing, but luckily for us the headteacher was into camping and orienteering and actually said it was not a problem as long as we stuck to where we were.... unfortunatley that school got burned down a few years after and never reopened

10. Woodland

Woodland Extremely Talkative

The difficulties that I've faced were overly concerned people worrying that you are going to burn down an entire woodland etc. The thing is that even if you do camp out on common ground or private woodland with public access there will either be people that disapprove or the threat of being disturbed by passing idiots.
    In certain parts of the country, Yorkshire for example, it's common to see tents in tourist car parks and randomly scattered off the beaten track. As I understand it you are allowed to camp within a few meters of the Ridgeway path and I should think similar applies to the Pennine Way.
    Realistically though, it you're sensible, get yourself a long way from where people are likely to pass and keep your head down a little bit you should be left alone. Like Stan says though, no rifles, and don't give anyone an excuse to criticise anything you do.
    I found another really good way of getting good camping ground but I'll PM you.

11. stephenjames213

stephenjames213 Technical Support

do tell mate :D

12. Bruce

Bruce Slightly Talkative

My brother owns a small woodland that our family uses for camping ,bushcraft,conservation,hunting and now and again we come across wild campers,99 percent of the time he's quite happy with it aslong as they are respectful ,and most people that go out of the way to camp in the middle of nowhere are usually like minded people

13. elliott92

elliott92 Very Addicted

some great advice everybody thankyou. i think i know what im going to do, and just make sure i stay responsible and leave no traces ;)

14. Woodland

Woodland Extremely Talkative

Enjoy yourself mate.
    ;)

15. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

I can see a request for permission to camp coming here Bruce....................;)

16. Fenland Hunter

Fenland Hunter Slightly Talkative

I am lucky to have lived here all my life so I know most sites that are suitable.

I canoe to most of my camps just put my shelter up if the location is suitable then i will have an open fire or I just use the kelly kettle, no one bothers you they think you are just a fisherman. Also moving by canoe enables me to carry a bit more equipment ( handy now I am getting older ).

FH

17. fishingwalkies

fishingwalkies Slightly Addicted

That sounds like an interesting way to travel, by Canoe!!!!! do you pack your gear "in" the canoe or is it lashed on top? wondering for stability etc!

18. Fenland Hunter

Fenland Hunter Slightly Talkative

12ft open canoe so I pack everything inside !!!!! LOTS !!!! ( the older i get the more comfort i like ) and I find that the stability is ok.

19. bigzitt

bigzitt Slightly Addicted

i'd love to to do this^^^^

20. HoboHubz

HoboHubz Quite Talkative

There's nothing like canoeing, it's the best way to clear your mind, i'm lucky as i can canoe when i want & my dogs love it, if you want to win a womans heart take her on a moon light paddle :D

DSCF0312.jpg DSCF1084.jpg