1. Welcome To The Bushcraft Forum!

Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum, a friendly site for bushcraft and survival enthusiasts, registration is quick and easy and absolutely free.

We have a wide variety of features available to registered members so please take the time to register and join in the discussion. We restrict the viewing of certain areas of this site due to the nature of some of the topics, all these areas are available to registered members.

To register, simply click here.

winter bushy write ups

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by Matt, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Matt

Matt Administrator Staff Member Site Donor

can the guys who attended the winter bushy please do a small write up on the few days they were on site im sure the guys who were unable to make it would like to read all about the goings on ;)..cheers guys

2. Shady

Shady Extremely Talkative

we arrived back via maccie d's (twice) its not that i didn't eat well as Stephen is an excellent cook (unlike me but lets not mention that)... Me lil an Geoff all brought booze but things really went well thursday night when we set up the open bar and we got those "non drinkers" drinking (except for Steve he was a good boy).... anyway there was always something to talk about and plenty to laugh about (mostly me).... Geoff stuck it out really well, he had a few teething problems but he did really well, the basha boys in the woods made a great camp so i think from now on hammocks is the way to go. My pop up tent went down without a hitch, but lets not talk about me putting it up.... the fella that sold it to me said "pitches in minutes" i just wish he told me exactly how many of these minutes it would take....

Matt was a very good host and Steve has so much knowledge it is unreal, it's like he was born in a field!!! It was windy for first few days and it was the wind chill that froze the nuts off a brass monkey, but well worth it!!

After the first night with freezing tempratures me and lil were fed up and cold, but we discovered a world called "Tesco" where a 13.5 tog kingsize duvet was on sale at £24.99, and with steve offering us a compartment in the tent him and Matt were using as storage it helped to lift our spirits, so cheers for that lads!

On the last night i tried to be brave and sleep by the fire... i managed to sleep from around 10pm to 2am but the fire had really died down and i really didn't want to try and start it again as i was freezing cold, the floor was like a solid ice block on my back so i jumped into the tent with lil (the one we borrowed from Steve as mine didn't go to plan).... so i have learned a lot during this experience.... mostly know your limits and percevere if you have to exceed them, i didn't fail at sleeping by the fire as i did manage to sleep [​IMG] but it was me that failed to percevere and chop some more wood (besides this would have warmed me up too). I also learned how to gut a Woodcock and Gunea Fowl with the help of Steve and Dr Cod, they were very helpful showing me how its done properly and it only seemed to take a few minutes.

My hat really does go off to those in the woods though, they were simply outstanding with their camp, everything was made from collected wood (such as the windbreaker for the fire), and the Hammocks looked rather comfy between the trees. I think my "totem pole" has been started it shall soon get longer as i will attend every event i can afford to get to, and i hope next time in the woods i will learn even more, not only about the bushgraft, but about myself too.... hell i survived the winter one so summer should be a breeze [​IMG] I was also sad to hear about Paul falling ill and having to leave so early, from the brief conversation i had with him, he seems to be a top bloke who knows how to camp!!

Maybe at the next one there will be more crafting, teaching us how to make spoons, shelters etc....

3. Matt

good write up shady..the summer event will have a few more activaties for the guys the main reason we didnt get into much building off stuff was it was a tad cold and the main shelter building guy was taken i,ll ......come on the rest of you get your version of events up 4 all to see

4. Matt

Ive just had a meeting with rob (bullseye) about organizing an itinerary for the next 2 bushy events ...fortunalty rob has agreed to take control of the organizing of the various activates(good man) for the people who attend the future events he will be posting a list of activates/training that will be happening at the events (in the events section of the forum) ....if there,s something you want to learn at the bushy,s send bullseye a pm and he will try and incorporate it in the next event .........matt